1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS or AA hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiv-c, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Which will I get the most reloads out of, STS or old-style AA's?

Kiv

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think one would find little difference in the number of reloads between these two fine hulls. Most responders will say they prefer STS hulls. I use AA hulls because I have so many. I do like the color of both hulls and during the Christmas season it would be nice to shoot both red and green hulls.

Pat Ireland

3. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

kiv-c, not trying to hi-jack your thread, but on a related note...

I'm pretty new to reloading with my mec jr. I've been using STS hulls. If I were to come across a bunch of AAs, would I have to change my press adjustments at all to load them ? Almost hate to change my press any, it's working so well with the STS.

Jim In FL

4. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Dont have to adjust my Spolar to change over to AA's from STS's.

5. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

When I bought my MEC 650, the guy had it set for AA shells, I only adjusted for no pressure on the wad, but that may have been different between the powder and wads that he used to what I used.

John MI

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Jim,
    I'm told that the STS hull loads (adjustment-wise, anyway) identically to the AA.

That being said, however, I did have to make a few crimp adjustments when switching between the old-style AA hull and the new HS version.

Kiv

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have buckets of AA hulls and like them. But the STS hulls have always been easier for me to reload and always give me more reloads. It is easier for me to find the AA hulls. I get all my reloading hulls at sporting clays tournaments.

8. glenns

glenns Member

I use same recipe for AA and STS's. You should check your powder's website.

9. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

With Red dot I use the same recipe for either hull and no adjustments are required for the MEC 9000G. However, I did get a new powder and it has a grain that looks like dust, very fine. The amount of powder is different depending on the hull. So, do check your recipes. Either hull works great and I probably can get upwards of 15 reloads. I notice some cracking up around the crimp area, that is when they get moved to the practice lot or perhaps discarded. I also try and keep them batched so that all 100 of a batch are of same age. Then I can assume a problem with more than one or two is likely to show up elsewhere in the batch.

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I load on a PW 800+ No changes on loader settings and no changes on componets for reloading.. But you should look at the Company reloading charts for yourself. My older AA's load well but newer AA's do not seem to load as many times. I have never had the 2 piece hull come apart but some on this site have said that they have. Now I buy only STS shells and they load the same but seem to load several more times. I inspect my shells and when the folds start to split apart.. I trash'em no matter the brand. The ones I load for my Daughter to shoot only gets loaded 5 times and then they go in my bin for me to shoot. It is just a hang up with me.. She reloads with me and we talk about the shells we are loading and the condition they are in and what condition they come out the back of the loader. Quality time!!!!! I am lucky that she loves to shoot also !!!

WesleyB

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

I also load on an 800+ but I adjust the crimp between AA and STS.

It is not necessary unless you are anal. I am anal and I want perfect crimps.

It takes a few minutes but I normally do 2000 shells at a time so I accept the small investment in time.

Don Verna

12. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I think the STS will last you longer! All of the old AA's are just that OLD! I bought some once fired and they start cracking after 2-3 loads.When they were still somewhat new you could reload them 15 times.Plastic gets old period.PJ

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

on my 9000 I get a small hole that may drop out a pellet with AA's but not with STSs???

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Frank, Lower you crimp starter a little on the AA's and the hole in the center of the crimp should go away. Won't hurt the STS's. Sorry about your puppy.

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

thanks Barry

16. Cray

Cray Member

Pat,

You answered the question like a politician!!!!! Cray

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cray- I was the class President in the sixth grade.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.