1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS kicks harder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trevorh, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

i was doing some testing and it seems to me that STS and AA both kick harder then a comprable shell like a federal top gun or a gun club. is this possible and if so why. note these were all 2 3/4in 3dram 1 1/8shot and #8's

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't know about the kick but I believe the lead shot is harder in the premium shells and would not use Gun Clubs for long yardage handicap.

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

IMO, same load, AAs are softer shooting than STS or plastic Gold Medals. Haven't shot any Gun Clubs in over a year, so I can't comment on them. Top Guns always seem to kick harder than other shells, even though they are the same loads.

Michael

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Its in your head.

5. hairy

hairy TS Member

I think if brand A 3dr seems to kick more than brand B 3dr, brand A is either faster or has more shot in it.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...or both.

Neil

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The "Top Guns" and "Estates" I've chrono'ed never seem to make it up to specified velocity. AA's & STS's consistantly do.

John C. Saubak

8. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

The best way to REALLY tell is to toss 10 shells of each type
    in a bucket. Let a friend reload your gun after each shot and
    DON'T tell you what shell is being used. He/she can keep track
    of what he/she puts in the gun. You call out what kind of shell
    you think it was, after each shot. Your 'loader' then keeps
    track of perceived/actual shells. Check results after 10 of
    each type have been fired. Shoot at actual birds, for score,
    so that you are concentrating on your shots, not on perceived
    recoil........
    The results will probably surprise you and you'll stop comparing
    one shell's recoil to another.....

AdamsRibs

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Guess we are talking about "perceived" recoil...is there a way to measure "actual" recoil - same gun, different shells? Just asking...but there must be a way. Best Regards, Ed

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Estates I have disected have only +/- 474 gr of shot, not 492, but I am happy w/ their performance at short yardage. I've always felt STS kick more than AA.

11. Perazzi-Mx8

Perazzi-Mx8 TS Member

AA and STS dont even kick at all neither do the gun club loads. Now federals thats a differnt story THEY KICK!!

12. BMC

BMC Member

Trev, if you are speaking in terms of a reload with the same recipe, my impression is that STS hulls have greater perceived recoil than the same recipe in a Federal hull. I recently loaded my normal recipe into Federal hulls, a recipe I only load into the STS hull, and the difference was very noticable, which I found to be rather odd. I wouldn't have suspected such a difference in felt recoil with only the hull being the difference. I suspect it has something to do with the Federal hull having a paper base wad. Just a guess.

13. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

BMC that is what i am saying i think it may have to do with the fact that the hull is thicker and not ribbed or maybe that it just has a better seel for some reason and to not the person who said to try i have done that and i can tell you that i went 10/10

14. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I reload as well, and i load a lot of estate paper b/w hulls to shoot in the auto,And i've loaded identical ballistics into the fed hull, and a rem hull, and the rem hull always has more perceived recoil,not sure exactly why, but it is true,
    that's why i stick with the fed paper b/w hulls for sporting clays,
    helps on the follow up shot, would probably be a good idea in doubles as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.