1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS hulls question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi just wondering if the sts hulls in 28 or 410 gauge hold up as well as the winchester hulls, I thought I heard that 12 and 20 gauge sts hulls hold up well for reloading but not the 28 410. thanks

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

In my experience they will hold up to approx. half the number of quality loadings as the AA's in 28 & 410........about the same number as AA in 12 & 20 ga.

3. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

the sts 28 hold up fine (as well as AA) for me

ernie

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Smith, what components do you use to get the same number of quality reloads from an 28 STS hull as you do from a AA? All the serious 28 shooters that I know can only get about half the number from the STS.

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

hunter44

13.8 hodgdon universal

remington pt28 wad

cheddite primer or winchester if club is out of cheddite

the crimp gets a little ratty after 15 reloads and my shooting buddies make fun of me but who cares. can't see the hull in the gun ?

the brass fails on the new aa's for me and my mec jr will not interchange sts & aa without an adjustment so i just use sts

ernie

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hunter44 I don't get anymore loads out of AA's than STS's unless you don't care about the quality of the hulls.

Bob Lawless

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I get one or two reloads out of the STS 28 guage hulls, after that the mouths are so messed up they aren't worth loading. BTW I use 14g Universal Clays and the remington wad, 3/4 Oz shot. You can see the problem with the STS hulls even after the first firing from the factory loading. Nothing at all like the service I get from the 12 guage STS hulls which are my favorite in that guage.

The AAHS 28 guage hull is good for 5+ loadings in my experience and that is why it is my favorite 28 guage hull. If you don't believe me find out for yourself. The same can be said for the .410 2 1/2" hulls.