1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS Hulls different lenghts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

The other night I started my winter reloading. I figure I might as well reload in the winter since I dont shoot much during the colder months. I didnt change any adjusyments on my reloader since the last reloading session a couple of month ago. I just could not get consistant crimps. It was driving me nuts, checking everything, I couldnt come up with anything. I finally noticed that it was all of the hulls marked 8.5 shot that were crimping bad. I pulled several out of the bucket and noticed that the 8.5 hulls are longer than the others. Has anyone else noticed this? Why are these hulls longer than the other hulls marked either 7.5 or 8 size shot? Thanks, gjmen

2. gjmen

gjmen Member

I forgot to mention, these are 12 ga. STS green hulls. Thanks, gjmen

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes I have noticed that also but it doesn't seem to affect anything except the appearance. Not always related to shot size stamped on the hull. I even went so far as to make a case length trimmer but that didn't really help much either so I quit worrying about it. I do still get a little difference in crimp depth. Ross Puls

4. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I don't think it has anything to do with shot size as I have had this problem with 7.5's I bought earlier this year. I think it's simply a "lot" problem. I bought several flats and they were all shorter than the ones I had on hand.

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I was waiting for this one. I thought I was going nuts and all alone on this. Were they bout 1/16" difference or so. Mine are. I do get some swirls in my crimp but heck they are the best longest lasting hulls on the market. I still have found my green and gold favorites to reload...

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The 1/16" longer ones provide a shot string that's 1/16" longer so you can shoot in front and the bird flies into it :p

-Gary

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I noticed that difference, some almost 1/8" longer of the Nitro Hulls. Jon

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

There is a quite a bit of lot to lot variation in the STS greens and the nitro gold hulls. I have observed shorter and longer in both colors over time.

I have adjusted my reloader for a kind of middle of the road length and it seems to be good enough for all of them so far. I get a little swirling on the long ones and a little hole in the short ones, but not enough to worry about.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I bought a 1000 once-fired STS hulls last year and about 12-15 of them stuck to powder funnel so hard that the machine pulled the brass head off the shell. I had also bought 1000 Nitro 27s and NONE of them had any problem. The only thing I could figure was those 12-15 had a length problem, though I didn't think to measure them. Whatever it was, it's never happened since I "culled" those out. When the head comes off (with the primer still in it) you can guess where the powder goes.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use the Remington Gun Club hulls, load better and last longer than the STS. And much easier find at the club. HMB

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I too think the gun club hulls are more durable than the STS or nitro, but I have found the length variances there as well.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I agree that the Gun Clubs last much longer than STS/Nitro's. Some of my STS/Nitro's get all burnt and split after one reload and others make it 3 or 4 before they give it up, while Gun Clubs seem to go on forever. Others have just the opposite experience...go figure.

I notice less length variation in the GC as well.

13. FNG

FNG Member

Is the loading data the same for the Gun Club as for the STS and Nitro ?
    Thanks

14. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There's a discussion of case length issues at the above link and the crimp difficulties that can result (about 40% down the page).

The tip-off is the pre-fold depth:

bunkerguy_2008_03039.jpg

If the pre-fold die is set to 70 mm length with STS hulls and some 68 mm length hull slip in, a few of them will crimp poorly as you can see below:

bunkerguy_2008_030310.jpg

If the hulls are longer than the pre-fold is set for, some may show a convex crimp. Remington hulls seem to vary from 65 to 72 mm in length, with Gun Club/field hulls tending toward the shorter lengths and Gold Nitro tending toward the long side.

It would seem that if you want perfect, consistent crimps, it's best to sort out the hull lengths and hull types (STS/Gold Nitro vs. Gun Club/field) and set the Pre-fold for each length and type. Adjustment of the final crimp depth may also be necessary.

- - Bill

15. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Bunker,

I have some slight variations in my crimps with different length hulls but not as shown above. I wonder how they got to the state they are in? Mine only have a bit of a swirl or some might leave just a tad open in the center.

Yes I am one more for gun clubs as well as the STS/NITRO's being the best to reload and I do get more than 6-8 reloads out of all three styles not just 1. If you were getting just 1 reload you may have gotten an old batch or just one that is nooooo good.

Keith

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Same experience as Keith. Some differences in the crimp but not much.

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have not had this problem.But I bought all of my current batch of STS green and Nitros from one source that bought them in one batch. The finished shell characteristics are the same. I'll get a pic and put it up shortly. I am currently using my oldest hulls and tossing them for winter shoots. All are 5 to 10 times multi-fired. I'll take that pic shortly

18. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Not much mention of machine type above. I have a 366 and it could care less what brand of case gets fed into it - they all look just fine. I have machine set up for 24gm and 28gm and neither one is case sensitive at all. Any plastic Fed and any plastic Rem. The way long ones do give the swirl but who GAF?

JMO of course

Charlie

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

OH MEC 650 600 and Grabber. All run through the Rem hulls like the champs they are.

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Remington, like other manufacturers, uses OEM lots of powder. These are not the canister grade powders we buy to reload with. OEM lot vary widely in density and potency. Remington tests each lot and determines much powder it takes to match the "standard" load with that lot, then extrudes the case length that provides a perfect fit and crimp.

If you buy a flat where the powder lot was bulkier, you get a longer hull. Same, same the opposite way. I have my crimp die set for the average. It always results in a good crimp, but worst case I have a little swirl in the center of the crimp, or a little opening. My reloads chrono with single digit SDs, so I don't worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

variations on crimps on gun club hulls