1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS hull wad question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I've been loading 1 1/8 STS hulls with Winchester WAA12 wads and been happy with the results (In other words, most of the targets I shoot at break). I'm ready to order 10,000 wads and thought I SHOULD be using fig 8 style in those hulls. Does it really make a difference? Fig 8 or Winchester style? For that mater, I've also been looking at the Downrange wad selection and that just adds to the confussion..... windjammer, X something or other, etc.

All I want to do is break targets from the 16 and back to the 24ish (sometimes my kid wants to shoot from the 27)

I'm using Clays powder and I'm not changing in the near future because I have 32 lbs of it. I'd like to just use one shell for everything. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Save a bunch of money on shot and consider a 1 oz load at around 1200 fps. It can break anything you shoot at. Clays is a good powder for that, and now is a good time, when you need to order new wads. Try a WAASL clone. I use the Claybuster CB1100-12. Mark

3. A201

A201 TS Member

Downrange has a direct replacement for the Fig 8 Rem wad very reasonably priced. That is just about all I use and am very satisfied. Roger

4. wlc

wlc Member

Either wad will work fine, I use CB8118 or CB1118 which are the Claybuster clones of the Fig 8 and AA12. Some recipies call for a little more powder using the Figure 8. I don't think there is anything magic about wads. If you use one designed for a tapered hull, follow the powder manufacturers reccomended recipie, and the height is correct for a good crimp you are good to go.

5. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I reload the STS -Gun Club hull exclusively and use the wwaa12 wad, downrange fig -8 , and downrange windjammer with clays powder. Have not seen any difference between the three except for the price.

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Load a couple hundred of each, shoot them from the 27 yd. line, then you will know. incinerate em!

7. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

When I went to the Downrange fig 8 wad my reloaded shells were processed without any problems. I no longer have the occasional crimp and other problems I had with the Winchester type wad. Try a few in your loader and see if there is a difference.

Terry Sandlin

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have used both wads you're talking about and can't tell much difference between them, maybe a "slight" preference for the fig.8. Have also used CBs clones with good results. Did NOT have a good experience with DR product.

Oregunner is right about 1oz. loads with the pink CB wad. and it will break those 27 yd. your son likes. JME--Ross Puls

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have reloaded for over 45 years. When I started, I was told use the wad designed for the case. Every time I go away from this advise, I have sporatic problems. The interior design of a AA is not the same as a Rem.. I use only Win. wads in AA and Rem in Rem.s. I will not deviate powder charges from recommendations from powder mfg.s. I remained at the 27 for over 20yr.s shooting reloads.

10. GRR

GRR TS Member

Downrange windjammer 1 oz or 1/18 oz Good velocity and low recoil

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I don't have any problems either but then I use Rem fig 8's in STS hulls with clays powder.

I don't know what kind of reloader you use but the stitched wad from Rem. works great in my P/W.

12. BD457

BD457 Member

I do get that occational wired crimp using the WAA12's. I thought that was just part of the reloading experience. One or two odd ones here and there. I'm using a MEC Sizemaster.

Ross: what was you bad experience with the DR wads? You can respond on PM if that's better.

Thanks everybody. I just have to decide whos fig8 clone to use and where ya get 'em now.

13. cafowler

cafowler Member

I've been loading the DR Jammer XL, I believe, the purple ones. I've been loading them with 7/8 or 1 oz at 1,300 fps using International Clays, in either the green or gold Rem hulls with a Rem primer. The recipe is in the Hodgden manual. I've been very happy with the load for sporting or anything else I may shoot for the last 2 years. 1 1/8 oz loads are over rated. Save money on shot. Save $$ on wads, use DR. Pick up all those once fire gold nuggets laying around the course, you can't go wrong. The nitro hulls are a bit stiffer, but the green STS ones close up real nice. I prefer the green STS ones over the gold nitro's.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The best use the best. I wonder how many answering this are AA - 27 ? Jeff

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

People Love Visual Displays :)

grntitan_2009_2503264.jpg

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have found that some wads go into the hull with difficulty. They snap crackle and pop on the down stroke. Before you buy a large quantity of wads test them to see if they go into the hull smoothly. HMB

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Which ones, and why? What does this mean?

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've been a Remington Hull fan for nearly two decades... I started self-loading using RTL/Premier/Blue Magic Hulls and moved to the STS/Nitro when they became the "it" hull...

Started with boxes of AA Wads, moved to Winchester/Western WT12, then used the Claybuster and Blue/Green Duster Wads...

If you have them available in your market and I had to offer a suggestion... the Green Duster in 1oz and the Blue Duster in 1-1/8oz are among the most consistent and slickest wads I've ever used... I have never had an issue with gas sealing and/or fracturing in the brutal cold shooting...

See if you can grub a small supply - I think you'll be sold on them also...

Jay

19. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

The key to good shell performance is the complete burning or the most complete burning of powder before the shot leaves the barrel.

If the wad and shell combination you are using allows the hot gas to slip around the wad , then you are not getting complete combustion, which can lead to a velocity less than you are expecting.

If you cut different shell about 1/2 inch above the brass and miked the inside at the cut and miked the different wads there are, you would be surprised at all the differences there are.

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think you are making a wise decision to go with the Fig-8. I have used many, many cases of them in STS hulls with zero problems. I also use the TGT-12 for 1 oz and some 7/8 oz loads.

Remington wads are just fine if you can find them for a reasonable price. If not, the DRM wads are pretty close to identical. They are just a bit slicker. The DRM Windjammer replacement also works well in an STS hull. I'm not a ClayBuster fan because of the soft plastic and the fouling, but they are cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.