1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sts hull reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzoom, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzoom

zzoom Member

I have been reloading 1oz sts hulls using clay buster waa12sl wads. Recently bought 1000 used hulls that started life as 1 1/8 oz hulls. Can these hulls be reloaded using the waa12sl wad to make 1oz loads? Thinking maybe not as these wads do not want to enter hull correctly and I end up with a mess. Only thing I can figure out is maybe the 11/8 hulls have to be reloaded back to 1 1/8 loads with waa12 wads. Opinions, thoughts? Thanks!

2. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

The STS hull should load either 1 or 1.125 oz with the proper wad with no problems, no matter what was the original load. Check your was guide fingers on your loader to see if they are broken or bent. RM

3. zzoom

zzoom Member

My once fired 1oz hulls load without any problem, the 1 1/8 hulls will not accept the waa12sl wads.

4. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I use them to load 1oz and 7/8oz with no problems. What type reloader are you using.

5. zzoom

zzoom Member

Using MEC 650. Not doing anything differently, my 1 oz hulls reload perfectly, the 1 1/8 hulls will not. Makes no sense to me.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You're right that it makes no sense. There is no difference between hulls the factory loaded with 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot. Only the wads are different. I too, with MEC machines, CB, WW, or DownRange wads load any amount I choose with an appropriate wad......breakemall

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Regardless of your doing nothing different you need to adjust your wad guide.

8. zzoom

zzoom Member

If my 1 oz hulls load like factory loads, why do I need to adjust my wad guide?

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

There is something wrong here, I also load STSs & only load a7\8 oz. load with no problem. have you changed ANYTHING else?? Check your wad guide fingers, & all other adjustments to be certain nothing has slipped, make certain that the hull mouth is wide open & ALL wad guide fingers are IN the hull with none broken or missing before trying to insert the wad. Are you using the pink WW 1oz. wad?? Ross Puls

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I load all kinds of loads in all of mine with no problems at all. Load them six to eight times or until they crack, then shit can them.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I don't know what the problem could be without looking at the machine loading but FWIW.......I usually buy 1 1/8 oz STS "lights" at Wally 'cause that's the cheapest place to get factory shells and then reload 'em with 1 oz & WAA12SL wads or CB1100's.

Sounds like a wad guide problem but again, hard to say without watching the machine function??

John C. Saubak

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Zoom first off there is no difference in a hull they use for 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot, it is the same hull from the same mold.

You're MEC does have an adjustment for the wad, but it is only up and down. Make sure, I know it has been said, that all of the wad guide fingers are not bent or broken. Secondly make sure your wad guide is dropping all the way on the hull.

There should be no problem with using a different wad when reloading your shells. It is NOT the hull there is something else not working properly.

Bryan

13. zzoom

zzoom Member

I know it is strange. The sts hulls that I have from shells I purchased do great. Switch to the used hulls I purchased, forget it. "My" hulls do great, switch to purchased hulls, won't load, switch to my hulls, no problem. Has to be something with the purchased hulls.....they appear to be in great shape, just can't load them.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

When you say you end up with a mess, describe the mess? What exactly is happening?

Ajax

15. zzoom

zzoom Member

The wad catches on rim of hull mashing side wall down, dumping shot on table. I know it sounds like a wad guide problem, it may well be, but as I have said, only happens with the used hulls I purchased.

16. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

Sounds like the wad guides is messed up put a new one on and try it.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If the wad fingers are doing their job that can't happen. You might have just one finger broken or going on the outside of the shell. I would change them just to make sure.

Bob Lawless

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if this helps. Take one of the hulls you purchased and insert a cone shaped object like a funnel in the crimp end and rotate the hull inorder to smooth out and enlarge the opening. Then try to load it. HMB

19. zzoom

zzoom Member

Thanks HMB, will try that. My wad fingers are fine, none broken.

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Compare the lengths of the hulls. Remington hulls are notorious for length variations. Sometimes it's severe enough to require press adjustments to compensate in order for flawless wad insertions, pre-crimps, and final crimps. My next suggestion would be to call MEC and see if one of their technicians can guide you through the issue. They are usually quite knowledgeable and willing to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.