1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sts hull reload recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul e. stark, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

a buddy of mine gave me 1000 once fired sts hulls and i am looking for an easy on the shoulder 1 1/8 oz. @ 1145fps load to make with them. thanks.

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Check the Hodgdon Manual for loads using International Clays. Best Regards, Ed

3. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Try the Downrange Windjammer clone with around 18.5 grains of International Clays and a Fiocchi primer. This is close to what is in the Hodgdon book.

Buckeye

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use the Remington Figure 8 wad or decent clone, and any appropriate powder. The Downrange clone of the Figure 8 has worked well for me. Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays, Clay Dot, Promo, International Clays, and a host of other powders will do the trick. I don't subscribe to the slow powder = lower felt recoil theory, but of YOU do, then Green Dot or International will do. For 1145 fps, I'd be inclined to use Promo or Red Dot instead. E3, American Select, and others are also useful. I'd use a decent primer and be sure to find some reliable data. Go to the powder manufacturer's sites for a start. I try to keep the pressures over 8000 psi and not much over 9000 psi if I can do that. 10,000 psi is about my limit. I don't generally use data that is listed in CUPs or LUPs, since it is compiled using some older technology that may not be a true indication of "peak" pressures. If I must, around 9500 LUPs is the top, with the target between 8000 and 9000 LUPs. One of my favorite loads is 19.0 grains of Green Dot, Remington Fig 8 wad, Winchester W209 primer, 1 1/8 oz of hard shot in the Remington Hulls. I step it up to 20.5 grains or so for handicaps. It goes out at around 1160 fps with about 19.0 grains and with the 20.5 grain load at about 1225. Check Alliant's site and see what they recommend for 1145. If memory serves me, they say about 19.0 grains with the figure 8 and winchester primer, but DON'T trust my memory! :)

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Look at titegroup powder

6. cafowler

cafowler Member

Are the Remington gold Nitro hulls the same as the bright green STS hulls. I mean can you use the same recipe in either hull?

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

2 3/4" 12 ga Premier, STS, Nitro, Gun Clubs, Sport Loads, RXP, etc. are usually loaded the same. The only real exceptions are the older hulls (high base wads or smaller 57 primers) and the UEE manufactured promotional shells like those that were sold in the 20 packs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best recipe for 1145fps load

best reload recipe for remington nitro

green dot and remington hull recipe

gun club hull promo powder w209 waa12 recipe

recipe for remington sts hulls 12ga

reload recipies for sts

remington gun club recipes 12 gauge with promo powder

remington sts hull reloading promo powder