1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sts casing data

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hank-1, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hank-1

hank-1 TS Member

looking for reloading info for sts casing fedrral so 1 oz. wad rem 209 primer or fedral 209 primer with clays powder checked load data for clays no info for that wad in sts hull with clays powder. any info would be helpfull.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd call Hodgdon.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The Federal 12S0 wad has limited application in a tapered hull. It is really meant for a straight walled hull like Federal produces. I've seen it in some 7/8 oz applications with Clays in the STS hull (where it ususally has the highest chamber pressure among such loads), but the absence of a Hodgdon recommendation for 1 oz loads may mean it just does not work well. Go with a Tgt 12 or a WAA12SL or a Green Duster.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I used, in the last century, the 1 oz Federal wad (or clone from CB) to assemble perfect 7/8 oz loads using 700X. I realize this isn't the answer to your question but I'm thinking you'll have some difficulty getting 1 oz of shot in the tapered hull and the straight wall wad in many situations. Agreeing with Bob K, I'd recommend sticking with the appropriate tapered wads....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

That makes three. The reason the 12S0 wad works so well for lower velocity (1220fps and under) in an STS hull is it bottoms out before it hits the powder. That makes the wad stick just a bit tighter, raises pressures and consistency, and allows a perfect crimp without adjusting your dies. If you add enough powder to get above 1220fps, the wad no bottoms on the powder and you get a dished crimp. Adding another 1/8oz of shot will do more of the same. It's a tight fit. You literally have to cram everything in, plus adjust your dies.

I don't think you will like the results. Try the TGT-12 as suggested above. It fits perfectly, works well, and patterns just a good as the 12S0 in a Gold Medal hull. Plus the TGT-12 is decidedly less expensive.

6. hank-1

hank-1 TS Member

thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.