1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS-410 RELOADING PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by peddler, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peddler

peddler Member

Reloading Remington STS-410's. I am using Alliant 410 powder using Rem 209 primers and SP410 wads. I presently drop 12.8 grains of 410 powder. Alliant charts say I should achieve 1230 FPS. When I conagraph the above load I struggle to get over 1025 FPS. I am trying to achieve 1200 to 1250 FPS. Any suggestions? STS cases have been reloaded approx 5 times.

Thanks

Jon

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm suprised you are getting 5 loads on the Remingtion hulls and that may be part of the problem. Try once fired hulls and see if that makes a difference - could be you just don't have enough crimp strength. The other possibility is you may need a hotter primer. Try a Winchester 209 or similar and see if that helps.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Increase the crimp depth to get a little more pressure.

Most people are afraid to adjust their reloaders. But that's why the crimp punch has a lock nut.

You might want to make sure your chronograph is right. That's a rel fishy discrepancy you have there.

HM

4. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

With this result, I think the first question is if the chronograph is correct set up. I've found that factory Win 410's are very consistent around 1200'/s and I use them as a calibration load to be sure that the cronograph is properly set up and reading correctly in 410. The factory Remington's I tested (two different lots) were less so. Check your chronograph manual for the proper distance to the first screen before you begin. It's quite critical and an improper distance could easily explain the discrepancy.

I assume you have scaled both powder and shot drops for accuracy with a known accuracy scale, perhaps checked with a check weight set to be super sure.

- - Bill

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Alliant 410 powder is a real hull burner. I use Alliant 300MP and have better hull life and speed with less pressure

Using Remington Primers and Remington wads makes for an expensive reload

6. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I have loaded a lot of Rem hulls with 410 powder. If you load them like the recipe says, they are way too slow and some are bloopers. I don't have a chrono to check them with but it takes about 1 more grain of powder to make them shoot like they should and to fill the hull so they would crimp right. Generally, fudging on recipes is not a good idea, but that's what I did.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rem Hull Win primer 15.8gr 296/H110 SP410 wad 229 grains Mag shot. As close to a perfect .410 load as you're likely to find.

8. peddler

peddler Member

Guy's

Thanks for the information. I feel the chrono is accurate because my 28 gauge and 20 gauge loads are very close to the charts. I will try the Winchester 209 primers and the crimping information. Most of my loaded hulls have a sunken in closure. Many of the hulls have been loaded a number of times but not excessively.

Thanks

Jon

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Same problem with STS 410s using same components. Switched to AAs and solved problem

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Rhett said.

Go to 300MP and forget the rest. Best powder out there for the Wienie Gun.

11. skeet_man

300MP is a VERY close cousin to 296/H110.

12. oz

oz Active Member

I like STS hulls in the 12 gauge. I do not like STS hulls in the .410 because they have striations/grooves on the hull. when you crimp you get a lot of splits. I use AA'a as they are smooth and work better. Also H110 or 296 are the best powders for the .410

13. single stack

single stack Member

Peddler,

I wouldn't recommend using a Win 209 primer in an STS hull.
    They would not seat in the pocket unless you open it up some.
    I gave up on the STS .410 hulls long ago.

Were you successful finding the XS you were after?

14. skeet_man

Single Stack- That issue is non-existent for me loading on a MEC 9000G.

15. irnctystamp

irnctystamp TS Member

Jack up your powder to at least 15 gr. Use pc wads and make sure you get 229 gr of mag shot. You might have file out your shot drop some to atain 229. I have loaded thousands of rem 410 hulls with this recipe and have even shot a 99 with them.

16. Shooting Coach

In the 21st Century, 300MP appears to be the best powder for the 410. Checking load data at Alliant will show a distinct advantage using this powder.

Lower pressures with higher velocities and longer case life make for a happy 410 reloader. The powder grains are a little bigger than 296/H110.

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Data for a Win AA HS .410 hull...

For the lowest pressure loads I could find (with Win Hulls) Aliant uses a little less powder...Win 296/Hodgdon110 has a little less pressure....using listed wads.

Lead Shot, 410 Bore, 1/2 oz., Win296/110, Win. 209, Orange PC, 15.5gn, 8100 PSI, 1200fps

Lead Shot, 410 Bore, 1/2 oz., 300-MP, Win 209, Win WAA41hs, 14.9gn, 8500 PSI, 1200fps

Sorry about the data running together ..this forum does strange things to my entrys...

Best regards..Stan

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Skeetman, I use a Grabber to load with and have no problem seating primers in a AA HS hull. I do not mix STS hulls as it is difficult to seat the primers in them. It takes much more down pressure plus to do it right I have to drop the primer rod in the Sts hulls. I normally load the STS's on a single stage and load them with 7 1/2's for the rabbit at 5 stands. Jackie B.

19. Shooting Coach

I load the 410 on a Sizemaster, and do not have any problems with priming STS hulls.

I load SK loads to 1250 and Sporting to 1300. Pressures are much lower with 300MP at these speeds. I use the HS wad in everything, do not bother with the few old style AA hulls I run across.

20. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

The 67 gauge likes what it likes. 6 pellets will change the crimp depth. Remember magnum and regular shot weighs differently per piece.

I had to "work" my bushing to get the correct volume of shot.

Try adding a few pellets before your crimp stage to see how it works.

Not sure how it will change the speed but it sure will make them look pretty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
410 reloading problems

410 sts hulls reloading

410 sts wad and load data

alliant 300mp 410 reloads

alliant 410 reloading data

recipe for 410 bore using 300mp powder

remington sts 410 load data
remington sts 410 reload 296