1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling with eye dominance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

I am a right handed shooter and I use both eyes. All of the eye dominance tests that I can find online would lead me to believe that my right eye is dominant. I have also noticed as of late that I have double vision and see two gun barrels in my peripheral vision when focusing down range on the target.

When shooting my pistol yesterday, I noticed that I also have double vision when I am focusing on the front sight of the gun. I tried closing my left eye and was pleasantly surprised at how much easier the target acquisition was and how much more accurate I was.

I am heading out to shoot some trap this morning and am considering trying a round with one eye closed. Does the fact that I have double vision indicate anything or is this normal?

Thanks for your input.

Mike

2. idoc

idoc Member

Mike,

Look at this first. The double vision you describe is perfectly normal. It's called "physiolgical diplopia" if you would like to google it.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3TKy-FCnA Rich

3. t7731

t7731 Member

So, are you saying that I need to do the camera thing to figure out what my true eye dominance is? At what point in that "scale" should one consider shooting with one eye? Doesn't sound like there is a clear cut answer.

Thanks,

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What will you gain by figuring out your true eye dominance if you can't shoot that way?

If shooting with both eyes open bothers you, try one eye for a while and see how it goes.

Dominance tests can be unreliable. I can shoot both rifles and pistols with both eyes wide open and my brain comprehends only the image from my right eye. Right eye dominant, right? Every test says so! But put a shotgun in my hands and my brain switches from eye to eye as distance, speed of target and direction of flight change. Hockey tape on the left lens fixes that.

Keller

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Check out the link shown above for more comments on this problem.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It's a club with a lot of members

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

8. idoc

idoc Member

Mike,

Yes, I would like you to do the camera thing. And yes you are correct that there is no clear cut criteria for when and when not to use a device for affecting the position of dominance. If someone can help me I'll show you a set of photo's you can use as an example. Like Keller says there is a large grey area but I think the exercise may be worth the effort.

Keller - Yor absolutely right that no matter how much didatiic information we get the buck stops when your behind the gun. The more information we have however will allow us to better determine if it's a dominace condition or something else.

Mike - The camera is one of many tests we do for dominance but a great starting place. This is our first objective test. We will follow this with other both objective and subjective tests but we have to deal with them one at a time.

Hopefully this will set up a model that shooters can go to their eye doctor, coaches, etc. with to better understand the eyes function related to shooting.

I'm williing to spend the time to go over the whole thing with you either privately or on the forum. If we do it on the forum i'm happy to go over each step and why. I've hesitated in the past to do this for many reasons but have jumped into the water if you want to pursue it. I can't promise this can be done over the internet but i'm willing to give it a try. (If we move forward on this someone is going to have to show me how to get a spellchecker involved LOL) Rich Colo O.D

9. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

There is a new concept on dealing with cross dominance called XD Solution.

You can shoot from your handedness side and use your both eyes to establish the
    gun target relationship. Many trap shooters are using it successfully.

If you go to the Sale section you will find the thread:
    "New concept on solving cross dominance/ firing"..

10. targetchip

http://www.trapshooters.com/

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I refreshed the earlier thread.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Do you see "double" at other times? I really know nothing about the condition but I know that a good friend and top shooter, was having problems with double vision that threatened his ability to shoot trap anymore. His solution turned out to be shooting glasses with prisms. That took care of the problem.

I'm right eyed/right handed and shoot with both eyes open. I always see two barrels at the breech end then it merges into one barrel at the muzzle end and front bead. Is that what you described?

13. targetchip

miketmx, thank you, but is not that I was thinking.

The thread "new concept in solving cross dominance/ firing" is on the "Sale Trade"

section and is a recent thread.

I will try to put it up!

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Parallax is a displacement or difference in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines.

Meaning if you have two eyes next to each other, you'll see two images of something up close in your vision, if you look at a distant object.

or

Meaning if you have two eyes next to each other, you'll see two images of THE BARREL in your vision, if you look at a distant TARGET.

15. targetchip

that's it, thank you very much!

The XDS is a new approach to solve cross dominance and cross firing.

16. Cush

Cush TS Member

Of course you see two barrels, you have two eyes. Concentrate so hard on the target that you do not see ANY barrels, and then you will on the road to shooting your best.

17. targetchip

Indeed, you can learn to ignore the ghost barrel but it is impossible to eliminate
    the gun from your peripheral vision.

You have to agree that our vision is shared between a central vision and a peripheral vision!

The central vision( main) help us to focus on the target and the peripheral vision keep the gun under control.

The combination of two of them give us the visual "gun-target" relationship!

"Looking at the target" only,and "ignoring totally" the barrel, by taking it out from your peripheral vision is IMPOSSIBLE!

By absurd, taking it out from your peripheral vision, how you establish the gun -target relationship if the gun is not there?

The XDS eliminates the ghost barrel, so there is an other function of it.

18. idoc

idoc Member

Barry,

Your friend was actually having difficulty with muscle imbalance. I different animal.

ysr - Your on the right track but the two barrels or two targets depending on where your looking is due to convergence (bringing the eyes together) when looking at near and divergence (bringing the eye out) for distance. If your looking at the target there is not enough bringing of the eyes in to see the barrel with both eyes. When looking at the sight on the pistol there is too much bringing the eyes in to use both eyes together in the distance. The brain usually learns to block the wrong image (the one out of the non-dominate eye)

19. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Had your blood sugar checked lately? A friend of mine was seeing two targets and it turned out he is diabetic. Bill Malcolm

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why is it the only time this eye problem (dominance) thing pops up is after we mount the gun? Placing a receiver and barrel directly under the pointing/aiming eye causes the sight loss of the target by blocking it out at times, to the aiming eye. Why not keep the receiver/barrel out of the way for the pointing eye to see the targets first?

Kay O. teaches his students that it's possible to hold on the opposite corners, call and still smoke targets? Wouldn't that maneuver allow the master eye to see the targets first also? Attack targets from under and from behind with your master eye! Then your peripheral vision comes into play making the correct bird/bead relationship.

Targetchip's XDS prevents the off eye from seeing the barrel/bead when the proper connection is made. Seems to me this is a very good learning tool to learn how to properly use your eyesight and your peripheral vision. One must learn HOW to use their peripheral vision correctly connecting two moving objects!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eyesight down the barrel of my pistol and get double vision

how to shoot trap with two eyes when you see two barrels

shooters double vision