1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stripping finish off browning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daydreamer1, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

going to refinish the wood on older browning and looking for some views as to the best stripper i should buy . any advise as to the best product to use?

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

"Certistrip", sold by Brownell's gunsmith supply.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The gentleman who does my stock refinishing was just telling me about a BT-99 he is doing. He used every chemical stripper he had on hand including ones from Brownell's and nothing as much as phased the original finish. He then went to a Sherwinn-Williams store and asked for the strongest stripper they had. He was given a product that they said would take any finish off of any surface - after an overnight soaking, it got enough loose that he was able to start sanding the rest off.

Apparently, it is some sort of epoxy. Good luck!

Ed

4. high 2

high 2 Member

Just about any of the premium strippers at Lowes or Home Depot. I like the Jasco brand. Larry

5. high 2

high 2 Member

If it`s older it shouldn`t be the epoxy finish. If it is as stated above, about all a stripped will do is soften the finish. Brownells is a good stripper, but after shipping and hasmat it gets pricey. Larry

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I used a chemical stripper to loosen the finish on my Citori Plus, but then had to use a sharp scrapper for the rest. Scrape it with the blade perpendicular to the wood, you want to scrape it not cut it.
    Protect your checkering.
    It's a sloooow process, don't try and hurry the results.

7. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

some finishes are just tougher than others. I like to lay down a heavy coat of remover/stripper and wrap the piece in heavy plastic, then just let it sit for 24 hours, give the stripper time to work. Wrap it real good, you do not want the stripper to dry out....then you have to remove dry stripper and the stock finish. It may take several applications. As said above, it can be a slow process....let the time work for you.

Hitting the finish with some rough sandpaper first will help the stripper work faster....but be very careful, too much will just create more work if you have sand out sanding marks.

Love thy wood! If you even think "this might hurt it", don't do it.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have done it and it is a bitch. Citrustrip will work but it won't be quick regardless. At least it doesn't stink and states it will remove epoxy, which is what Browning uses. Soak it for long periods wrapped in foil. Avoid sandpaper as much as possible. The average stripper will not phase it. If you could find a local business that strips it would be worth the cost.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Straight Methylene chloride or MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Nasty stuff

10. nagantino

nagantino TS Member

A few years ago i stripped and refinished a Winchester 5500 that had a high gloss finish. I had refinished many rifles and shotguns but this one was problem. I used a product called Nitromors paintstripper{Ireland, UK}. It melted into the surface coat ok, but re hardened again! The trick was to apply the stripper and stay with it as it softened and then get stuck in. Lots of good advice already here: keep it wet, stay well away from sandpaper, use fine wire-wool. Good luck to sir.

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

citristrip. you can get it at home depot for about 10 bucks a quart. i buy guns for the wood and the first thing i do is strip them down and refinish them in oil. i've never had it fail to work. the toughest thing i ever had to strip were a pair of ahrends pistol grips. i don't know what he uses, but when it finally bubbled up, it just peeled off of the wood like a rubber glove. anyway, apply liberally, wrap in saran wrap and let it sit for a few hours. unwrap, inspect, apply more, rewrap, let sit. when the finish looks like it's been lifted, put on a pair of vinyl gloves, not latex, and proceed to wipe the wood down with paper towels to remove all of the gunk. then use a paper towel soaked in acetone or thinner to clean the wood up. it dries fast so you'll see the shiny spots where you need to reapply the citristrip and continue the process again. i've found it easier to let the stripper do the work through repeated applications than to get out the steel wool or sandpaper. if anything needs scrubbing, it'll be small spots that a toothbrush can get. don't rinse with water, it raises the grain and makes for more sanding work. use a solvent. and don't be in a rush. let the chemical work. btw, lowes sells the jasco brand. it doesn't work as well as citristrip. and you can buy solvent based strippers. they don't work as well as citristrip either. good luck with it

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

go to a body shop supply and get some "Aircraft Finsh Remover". It works...or at least it has for me....

13. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...burn it off...

14. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I just stripped a Citori. Soaked it in Acetone for about 20 minutes, then used a scraper. Came right off with minimal sanding required.

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I used BIX IT furnature stripper. Not sure they make it anymore. Leave it on for 15 mins or more and the Browning finish will buble up. Than scrap it off with a putty knife etc. It's in a jell form. Be sure to wear rubber gloves.

16. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Put the gun back in the closet and forget it. Let the people that inherit it do the work.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

1963 Browning superposed.

I tried everything, best advice, put the stuff on , wrap it in something to keep it moist, and let it sit, for a reasonably long time. It MIGHT soften it enough to remove. I ended up using #2 steel wool and a scraper, not to mention sand paper till it finally came off. Nice wood underneath though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

citristrip browning

mek for stripping browning

stripping finish from browning