1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stripping browning bt99 plus stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gary Waalkes, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I hope you are determined. Durable is one word to describe that evil epoxy used on some of the Brownings. Brownells has a product called certi-strip that will get you started. You will also need a couple of nylon scrapers, steel wool, stiff bristle brushes, etc. You can (and should) create stiff bristles by cutting down a regular brush. You will need these brushes to get the goop out of the checkering. Yes, I have had sucess - new finish is personal taste but Brownells also sells something called a riffling file and you are going to need one even if you mask off the checkering when applying the new finish.

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

I usually us acetone to strip.
    Lay the stock in a pan and cover the pan with aluminum foil to keep the acetone from evaporating. You will have to flip the stock after a couple of days. Don't inhale!

Most likely you will notice stain and oil coming out of the wood so, select a stain color and filler (combo) you like.-Jerald

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Buy some Certistrip from Brownells. It is easy to use and melts off the Browning epoxy finishes.

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

You might check out Start 10 Stripper. It's a finish stripper used by a lot of antinque boat refinishers. I had a lot of luck using this when I refinished my Ultra XS Skeet a couple years ago. You can get it at Woodcraft. Here's the description from their website.

Star 10 Strippers
    Environmentally friendly strippers that will not raise grain, harm veneers or glue joints. Liquid stripper is designed for latex, lacquer, varnish Paints and Shellac. Semi-Paste is designed for shellac, varnish, lacquer, latex, paints, industrial coatings, polyurethanes, imrons and epoxy. Semi-paste is good for vertical applications and multiple layers.

5. KK

KK TS Member

JASCO GOLD PREMIUM PREMIUM WILL TAKE IT OFF. USE TWO COATS, THE FIRST REMOVES THE BULK OF THE FINISH THE SECOND THE STAIN AND SEALER. USE THE JASCO AND A TOOTH BRUSH ON THE CHECKERING. WEAR DURABLE CHEMICAL PROOF RUBBER GLOVES, JASCO IS VERY CAUSTIC. KK

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you want send it to me and for $50 I will sand it and re point the checkering if needed.

Strippers are harsh on the wood and most introduce moisture to the stock. Swelling and warping can occur.

I think sanding is the only safe way to go.

Joe Goldberg

7. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I have done a couple of Brownings and that finish is tough. I just scratched it with 100 grit and used an off the shelf stripper. Followed the instructions and it worked well. I also used an oil finish. Good luck with it.

Mike

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had mine stripped by a furniture restorer last year who knew all about Browning from past experience. My checkering was still clean and sharp and needed nothing else. I just used steel wool for the rest and hand rubbed with an oil finish with several coats. Tape the checkering and do it last or you will fill it all in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.