1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stripping a stock question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdtracker, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I want to strip the clear coat off my stock, have the checkering touched up, then reclear. Whats the best thing you found to strip off the old finish? thanks. Birdtracker

2. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Depends on the finish

ATM (Acetone/Toluene/Methanol) is not the harshest, but it works well on many finishs.

Epoxy might need more.

Homer Formsby makes an ATM that I have used with success.

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

What is the finish? Epoxy needs real harsh stuff, time, scrapers, lots of patience.

4. schwabby

schwabby Member

Jasco spray foam stripper is the best I have used. It will strip a Browning with a couple of applications.
    Also, get your checkering done after finishing, not before.

Steve

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Steve said.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Stripping a 2-part finish is a job for a specialty company, not a DIYer, unless he/she enjoys playing with toxic/caustic chemicals and getting only mediocre results.
    MK

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might try ZAR (from UGL).

Paint it on - wait a bit, and wipe it off.

Oxygen STOPS it's action so don't shake it or manipulate it too much while applying it. When done just wipe it off - a toothbrush on the checkering leaves it pristine.

That's it for clean-up.

I haven't found a finish that it will not remove.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Taking off the old finish requires a combination of the right stripper, careful scraping, not scratching, and sandpaper. The checkering can be cleaned with a stripper, and if some areas are worn, they should be recut to around 1/2 depth prior to finishing. The key to a good finish is to make sure all of the wood grain is completely filled. It usually takes many coats of a filler and only a few coats of the final finish. Sand lightly between finish coats and then polish the last coat. I like a large soft wheel on my drill press to do than. Then the stock is ready for the final checkering.

After you do 6-7 stocks, the rest are easy.

Pat Ireland

9. high 2

high 2 Member

Pat, do you need a job? Larry

10. skits

skits TS Member

this may be a bit of overkill, but i once bought a Remington 1100 that someone had painted at home all Mossy Oak. I got it basically for parts price, so when i was pondering how to clean it up, i remembered that i had some aerosol "AirCraft Remover" (u can get it at walmart) for removing paint of of motorcycle pieces i was working on. The paint came right off the metal to reveal a very good gun underneath, but i didn't know what to do about the stock, so i thought what the heck, sprayed it down good with the AirCraft Remover, then cleaned it off with a high pressure power washer. Hed nothing to lose.
    Believe me, it took EVERYTHING out! Filler and all, just like it was raw wood. From there, i treated it like a raw wood stock. Sanded it down with ever finer grits of sandpaper, stain/filled it with a Minwax product, cleaned up the checkering the best i could and then applied three coats of Minwax polyurethane satin finish varnish, sanding with 1200 grit inbetween coats.
    I think it came out looking better than new. . .looks almost like a a hand rubbed oil finish.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

No thank you Larry. I now work around 70 hours a week and I can't keep up. Do you want a job?

Pat Ireland

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Be careful with that ZAR stuff... it's 90% methyl chloride and the rest is alcohol and toluene. Use it outside and wear goggles, a mask, gloves and a rain suit.

MK

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Certainly use care, but wasn't your advise a little extreme?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.