1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Strip & Refinish 870 TC Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cdougstew, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdougstew

cdougstew TS Member

I want to strip & refinish the stock of a 870TC. The current finish is worn through at the grip and is peeling off at the butt plate.
    What is the best way to remove the current finish and bring it back to close to what it was?

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Sand paper start with 100 grit and move up to 220 or 320

Joe goldberg

3. 333t

333t Member

The Remington finish is tough to get off. I have used epoxy paint stripper with good sucess. I believe it is a Jasco product. Spread it on and let set until it bubbles up, then scrape it off with a craft stick or something that won't scratch the wood. If your workplace is cold it will take longer to bubble. You might have to do this a couple of times. Work stripper into the checkering and clean out with a stiff plastic brush. This stuff is not good for you so do it in a well ventilate area and wear some old gloves. If it gets on your skin you will feel it.

Then I sanded lightly and applied Tru-Oil. No stain is needed to duplicate the factory finish. Takes several coats of oil to fill the pores and make a nice finish. Apply oil to the checkering only on the last coat, worked in sparingly with an old toothbrush. Not difficult, but time consuming. Good luck.

Phil

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Phil 333t - do you mask off the checkering with masking tape or put the finish on the checkering? I have Tru Oil and an unfinished Remington stock to work on. Thanks, Ed

5. dzneff

dzneff Member

By all means, mask off all checkering until the smooth areas of the stock are finished. Then apply a thin coat to the checkering. This will keep the checkering sharp like new.

6. 333t

333t Member

I don't mask the checkering. I apply the finish with my fingers so I just don't go into the checkering until the last coat. If you accidently get a little in the checkering early on just remove what you can with an old toothbrush that is clean. If you put repeated coats into the checkering, it will sort of gum up the checkering and it won't look right.

Also, when you use your Tru-oil, just pour a few drops into and old spoon or bottle cap and use that for your current coating. Keep your plastic bottle closed and stored upside down and it will last a long time.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will paint stripper damage the plastic grip cap on a remington stock