1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

strictly practice, but, good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cole-mitchell, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

Will all the talk of used wads and outrageous lead prices (coupled with my short budget) I have recently thought of the ultimate low cost, crappy, PRACTICE load. Would it be SAFE if I reloaded....

A used wad ---
    reclaimed shot ---
    once fired estates ---
    Rex Powder ---
    and cheap primers ---

or is it a danger to my barrels, ect....

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Cole......Nothing wrong with that load at all. Should work well for singles and first shot on doubles without any problems. Be sure to follow the REX powder guide for proper loading.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We had a few guys years ago reclaiming wads. I believe one fellow sent them through the wash machine. Worked for him.

HM

4. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

id just buy it from my local club, I don't knwo there process, but it is clean

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Cole,

I really appreciate you being budget concious. Shooting is not an inexpensive recreation and my son and I do what we can to keep ourselves in the game and competitive while keeping an eye on the wallet. I reload and my experience with reclaimed shot is good......your mileage may vary but please empty a bag of shot onto a cookie sheet. Look for anything obvious and take a magnet and run it over the shot to determine if there is any steeel mixed in there. I pay $12.50 per bag for my reclaimed and it shoots great and to the naked eye it is very clean but a friend of mine makes his own shot and when he melted down a bag of reclaimed he was blown away by how much dirt there was in the pot, he described it as a significant amount and effected the yield of lead available to make new shot.

I scrounge all my hulls from shoots - I must have picked up 2-3000 this past weekend, STS, Nitro, AA and Fed Gold Medal all once fired. I use Fiocchi primers and I have not had one FTF in nearly 20k rounds. I use the cheapest powder I can find which for me is Promo from Recob's. I just purchased two 8lb jugs for $145.00. I do use good wads only because I haven't had the time to compare performance with clones.

I know a guy that is a AA shooter and one year he shot nothing but his own reloads and he used Estates, reloaded them once and let them eject. Didn't seem to effect his shooting.

I'm intrigued by the idea of the used wad, not sure how much disfigurement occurs passing through the choke but if it helps keep your costs down then why not try it.

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

ffwildcat,
    I am interested in buying a couple bags of the reccled shot to play with. You can ship 2 bags for $8.00 through parcel post I think. Would you be interested in helping me out and selling me a couple bags? Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Forrest

XXXXXf.miller@mccoylabs.comXXXXXXXXX remove the x's

PS I have been reloading some used wads and have found the performance for singles to be equal to that of ones with new wads. They pattern just as new ones do! I started a thread on used wads and caught alot of crap, but then again a lot of the guys who post here dont have a shortness of $$$.

7. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

cole i don't know you but we share the same last name and we are both operating on a limited budget

8. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Personally, if I had to shoot loads like that in my guns ........... I'd just wait until I could afford to shoot decent loads. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything as I shoot reloads for everything except registered handicap.

My re-loads cost a little less than $3.00 / box. Fortunately I can still afford that price.

hubcap

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Sheesh Irfner!!!!! can't take you anywhere....

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

maybe try once fired primers. this will also help to cut costs.

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

All is good but BEWARE of reclaimed shot, not because of the mixture of 7 1/2 8 and 9's but the minute particles of steel, gravel etc. that will play havoc in your barrel, make sure it is clean! incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.