1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stress and Vision Changes?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Being rather new to this sport I have a question regarding vision changes that I feel may be occuring. When I practice with a couple of friends I do fairly well but as soon as I am on a squad I do not see the bird soon enough and being shooting very late and you know the results "LOST". I am wondering if the stress of the squad and wanting to perform when it counts is causing my vison to deteriorate and if so have any of you had this problem and what di you do to correct it? Thanks.

2. Les Greevy

Les Greevy TS Member

Hi K80, There is indeed a correlation between stress and vision. An article by Chris Janelle in the Journal of Sports Sciences in March of 2002,discussed this this phenomenon. My next column in Trap & Field talks about other aspects of this article. If you can't find Janelle's article on the internet I have it and can e-mail it to you. Les

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

While Les is more than likely right, there are many other things that make us miss during registered shooting and almost all of it is right between our eyes. Don't worry about your shooting, just shoot them. (the targets) Work on your hold points and the area that you look at during set up and don't blink just prior to calling for the bird because your eyes have to refocus every time that you blink. That takes time, if you blink and call for the target right then, you will not see the target. Because your eyes are out of focus. Keep your eyes still during set up.

John

4. Harold

Harold TS Member

When that happens to me I call it "choking."

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Trying too hard causes you to consciously second guess your automatic targeting system. You check and double check instead of concentrating on the target. I know I do a lot better when I adopt a mental attitude of "hands off". My subconscious does a lot better job of targeting than I do consciously.

6. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I found the more I practice the easer it is to get over all of the stress of a big shoot. I try to practice on different squads so that I don't depend on a rhythem. It seems to help. Glenn

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I stay focused on the trap and feild. I open my eyes as wide as I can as im setting my hold point breath in relax soft focus into area. pull track bang. Keep YOU out of it. When shooting with friends and relaxed your minds eye is shooting. When on the lines with new shooters, bet your looking around making sure YOU do everything right. I have been shooting better in ATA events than club league latly? Ohh yeah I shoot with boths eyes.

8. ichic

ichic TS Member

When was your last dilated eye exam? I am an optometrist, who has recently relocated to Savannah, Georgia. My father is a avid trap shooter and a perfectionist, especially when it comes to his vision. Stress can certainly play a role in vision, however prescription changes or having a specific prescription for shooting lenses can make a significant difference also. I beg to differ with jcl that only an ophthalmologist can provide an thorough eye exam. Optometrists not only prescribe glasses but check all health aspects of the eye, including glaucoma, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. The American Optometric Assocation recommends yearly eye exams for all healthy adults.
    Thanks,
    Sunrise Vision
    Dr. Jennifer G McKay
    1975 E Montgomery Xrd
    Savannah, GA 31406
    912-352-2844

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Stress affects all performance. By all means have your eyes checked, but I'll bet what you're experiencing on a squad (not seeing the bird soon enough) is due to nervousness, not any vision changes. It may seem that your eyes are malfunctioning, but maybe it's your brain, scrambling the incoming messages. Your mind's eye, your memory, then remembers/records a visual mixup, & blames the eyes. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.