1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Straw hats

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flyfish, Jun 24, 2013.

1. flyfish

flyfish Member

What is the name and/or e-mail address for the guys who make the big straw hats for shooting? I think they're from Arizona and was told they were at the Grand last year. Thanks in advance.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a Genuine STETSON cowboy style hat, it is 41 years old and is still in good condition. I still wear it sometimes to keep sun off the ears

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Flyfish, Yes, they are cousins from AZ if I remember correctly. I don't have their contact but if you know someone who gets Trapshooting USA-they did a story on them last year-I don't remember what issue. I think it was the one with Harlan on the cover wearing one of their hats. They're good quality and a couple of nice guys to do business with. Hope this helps.

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

The back issues of Trapshooting USA can be viewed online. I think it was the Nov/Dec issue that had Harlan on the cover with a straw hat on.

Pat

5. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Hope they are at the Grand again this Aug.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

This looks like it.

7. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Wife and I both bought one at Tucson. They are a high quality hat and both guys are characters. They are Panamanian woven reed, not straw, if memory serves me.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just ordered an Australian slouch hat. Always wanted on--Got a WW 1 model with the light horse emblem and Emu feather. American submarine veterans wear them at reunions.

Phil Berkowitz

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The hats sold at the Grand last year were palm leaf hats. They had a standard and a fine leaf hat. At the time , I thought they were too high but found out later they probably weren't.

As jimking states, sunbody.com has them. Get the Guatemalan fine palm.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe, the AzTex Hat Company in Scottsdale, AZ?

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm a hat nut. The hats that the Arizona boys sell are low end palms. Now, that's not to say that they are bad. If fact, they are perfect for dipping in water to help keep your head cool. I have a few high end palms that I prefer not to dip in the water so their hats serve a welcome function. Plus they look good too.

12. ltsc1

ltsc1 Member

They were called Mac hats. I bought one in Tucson at the Spring Grand and they work great to keep the sun and rain off you. They are made of palm leaf and I think he said it was 8 count palm.

Steve Hays

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Barry, I have been reading about Palm hats since I saw those at the Grand. The guys at the Grand had two grades. A standard and a finer grade with more rows per inch. Fine palm makes a lighter hat. Could have been Mexican palm. Guatemalan palm is supposed to be better than Mexican palm.

Are your better hats heat pressed into shape?

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Yep. But I usually use the AZ boys cheaper hats in hot weather.

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Flyfish the person you are looking for who was at the grand and Tucson is DK Hats, Dale Kimenker. His cell is 702--581-0955 and email is dalek1054@hotmail.com

Hope this helps you.

16. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Dale is the man, he was at Vernal with those palm leave hats and I bought one, love it, works well and when it is super hot, put cold water on the inside hat band, really cools you off. I think Dale is related to the "Duck Commanders" as he looks like Sye...........LOL. He is a good guy and rolls with the Duck Dynasty comments well. Scott

17. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Google "palm leaf" or "palm Straw" hats. There is a place is Texas that sells them cheap and they aren't worth the $40+ some people ask for them because you can buy them for $20 or so. You soak them in water, shake them out and put them on to keep cool.

Every couple of months I wash mine with Simple Green and a finger nail brush and it comes out clean.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Barry, What do you say about brownk80's comments? Is a fine palm leaf hat worth the extra money. The guy selling the hats at the Grand said his finer hat,it had more rows per inch, was much better .
    Not taking about the heat pressed hats, hand shaped with water.

Search tags for this page

straw shooters hats

trapshooter cowboy hat