1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Situation with trophy award

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I have run into a strange and, at least to me, unique situation. I will outline what has happened and see if you have run into a similar situation and, if so, how it was handled.

A trap league I am involved with awards trophies for the various classes and categories for the season based on season averages. The class a shooter is entered in depends on the average he/she finished with in the previous season.

Now, A shooter who in previous years had always been classified in a higher class, had some problems that were beyond his control last year and ended with an average that placed him into a lower class for this season.

His problems were resolved and this year he is back to shooting scores more in line with his previous year's scores (with the exception of last years lower scores). His scores won the lower class that he was entered in for this season.

After the season averages were computed and the results, along with the names of the class and category winners were posted, but before the trophies were ordered, this shooter has indicated that he felt he, because of the problem resolution, was shooting scores that should have earned a higher classification.

Our League rules do not have a specific rule allowing a request for a higher classification by the shooter. This is true either before, during or after the season. There is also no rule preventing such a change in classification. I could see no ATA rule that allows for this type of request either.

The shooter has indicated that he, based on his beliefs that he should have been entered in a higher classification, does not wish to accept this trophy. He feels that he had an unfair advantage over the other shooters who were entered in the same class.

This same shooter also had a runner-up (2nd place) finish in the Senior Vet. category but was not listed as the SV Runner-up because our League rules state that a person can only win one season trophy and that Class trophy winners outrank category winners.

The shooter has indicated that he would accept the Senior Vet Runner-up trophy if the Class trophy winner was awarded to the next ranking average in the class. This would also elevate the 3rd place shooter (no trophy) to the 2nd place position and trophy.

I see a couple of alternatives, but there are strong arguments for both sides.

1. Allow the shooter to decline the Class trophy and accept the SV Runner-up. This would eliminate the 3rd highest SV shooter who currently is listed as the Runner-up. This option would also elevate the Class trophy Runner-up to Winner and put the 3rd place shooter into Runner-up in the class.

2. Award the shooter the Class Winner in spite of his request and feelings on winning because of an unfair advantage and maintain the other shooters in both Class and Category as originally listed.

3. Some other option but what it would be is ????

Now my question, have you ever had a situation where a class winner, based on his belief that he had an unfair advantage, choose to decline a trophy and thereby elevate the shooters with lower averages? What did you do?

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I recently had the same type of problem. I wanted to be put in C class due to my last 800 targets showing a 91.50 average. The guy who classified me said he could not due that because my ATA yearly average still showed an 82 average which is D class. Which is the right way?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I certainly don't have the solution to your problem but wanted to add that the shooter should be commended for not falling into the "cheater/sandbagger" class and standing up like an adult. Although this sport is full of class act stand-up people, not many people would decline a trophy and admit an unfair advantage. My hats off to him/her. Good luck with your delima.--Matt

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Award the shooter a special trophy for having "class".

Eric

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I like that MIXER

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. motrap

motrap Member

I would think he should have his choice of all trophies he is eligible for ( without even giving any reasons! )

No matter why, if he wants Sr. Vet he should get it!

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's nice of him, but since this all occurred after the fact, and it sounds like he was classified properly according to your rules, I don't think you should make any adjustments. Would have made sense if he asked to be bumped up at the start of the season, but not at the end. This is because someone else that correctly thought they won a trophy would end up losing out on the deal. He if wants to decline his trophy, fine, next in line gets it. But he shouldn't be allowed to take a trophy away from someone that already won it under the rules as written.

Change the rules going forward, but not fair to take a trophy away from someone that won according to the rules. In response to motrap, it sounds like he was not eligible for the Sr Vet trophy so it isn't fair to take one away from another Sr Vet that won according to the rules.

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Follow the rules and do not deviate. He fell into a lower class and won it, give him the trophy and if he declines give it to the next guy. He can then compete in the next class next year since thats what he qualifies for.

9. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Give him the Sr. Vet 2nd place and also to the existing 2nd place person (i.e., give out two second place trophies). Bump up the 3rd place person in the class to 2nd place. Everyone should be happy!

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Follow the rules. If he still declines the trophy, order a "Sportsmanship" trophy and give it to him - he's earned it.

Neil

11. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Right On, Neil...a feel good for all involved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.