1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STRANGE SHOTSHELL

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Seen a strange shotshell at club last night.Fella had it reloaded but just keeps it in bag to show people.Forgot the name of it already, but I know it's not produced anymore.

What was strange about it?,,How about the entire shell was plastic,even the base,and the base could be unscrewed leaving a narrow part where the primer was housed.It had a black base and orange shell.Wonder why no one continues to make them,sounds more cost efficient than steel or brass bases.

Doug H.

2. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I think I saw a shell once named Wanda that looked like that...yeah...a shell named Wanda. GaryL.

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I saw that shell being advertised in a Herter's catalogue quite a few years ago. I'm sure there are quite a few collecting dust in some reloader's secret junk pile.

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

I believe that it was ACTIVE.. no longer made.

Trap-4

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Trap4 has it right. I shot some of those years ago. Smash the linkl above for more than you wanted to know.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The wanda was produced on a bunch of P&W presses ran by asian or mexican women for an American guy if I remember the story correct..

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nope,not even close after looking at link someone posted.The whole base unscrewed,except center part enclosing primer.entirely plastic.Center of shell around primer was plastic,and just larger than primer.It was part of the shell casing(plastic)maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch and i/2 inch long,then of course it flared out to regulat shell size.

Doug H.

8. KooJo

KooJo Member

The shotgun shell you are talking about is called a "Whitney". They where first made in California around the early 70's then the company move to Colorado and ? Was it a good Ideal or Bad do not know. I do wish Active shells were still being made. Looking for more INFO try this web site. www.cartridgecollectors.org

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I don't believe it is a Wanda. The base on a Wanda does not screw off. Have boxes of them going back to the first red/white/blue box. Doug H., I think I have one of those shells you are talking about. Was the orange tube that screws into the black base a "hard" plastic perfectly round cylinder versus the "softer" plastic of say a AA hull? I used to pick up the various "all plastic" shotgun shells as I saw them (not a serious collector). Haven't gotten the all-plastics out in years.

The only other cartridge that is a bright orange with a black base in an all plastic is the "Whitney Cartridge 12 ga" shell. I don't believe the base screws off it.

DoubleAuto

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I guess it is a Whitney. One of the ones I have had the shot size (#9)stamped in the plastic tube. I know I have seen another brand of all plastic shotshell that has a screw off base.

DoubleAuto

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Active's were great shells.

12. Trap4

Trap4 Member

shot410ga, yes they were, I used them for turkey hunting--3 inch Mag with 2and1/4 ounces of copper N0. 5 and or 6 shot. Worked great and still have a lot left as don't hunt much anymore. They are the only one that I know who put 2 and a quarter ounces of shot in a 3 inch shell.

Trap-4

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Great memory jog koojo and Dblauto,that was the name ,,,Whitney,,yep,,Hard black base and smooth orange shell.

Doug H.

14. KooJo

KooJo Member

The Eclipse shotgun shell was made in California in the late 1980's or early 1990's it is a all plastic shotgun shell. Why the company stop making the shotgun shell? I have heard that a all plastic shotgun shells would not feed in auto shotguns and jam is why they stop making them.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How long ago were these around? 49 years of trapshooting and I never heard of them. I'd like to see a photo of one.

xjda68 thanked this.
  16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have shot actives for years and still reload them. They feed through autos just fine. Best hull ever made

17. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Eclipse & Active, Both plastic tubes,and years ago there was a Herters.
    I will look the name of that hull. It was a little older.
    I have both eclipse & active boxes of shells.There not that old.!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

18. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Found a photo of some Activ hulls. These were popular in late 80's. I rememeber seeing these laying all over the trap fields in Orange County FL in 1987-88.

Dale

19. kd185

kd185 Member

this is a Whitney shell
    got a few from a guy trying to sell alot of them
    seam to take a special wad thats not available so youll have to make your own wads works when you run out or just throw them all away

20. dhip

dhip Active Member

yep,kd85,thay's what I saw,wxcept it was reloaded.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
eclipse all plastic shotgun shells
eclipse shotgun ammo
eclipse shotgun roounds

eclipse shotgun shells

eclipse shotshell
where are eclipse shotgun shells made
whitney shotgun shell
whitney shotshell