1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

strange reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by happyshooter, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyshooter

happyshooter Member

While at my club cleaning up the back room I found a bag of the worst looking 12guage reloads I ever seen. These shells looked so bad I would not let anyone even try to shoot them. There was only 58 rounds in an old paper bag from a supermarket that has not been in this area for 20+ years (they must have been there for quite some time). I took them home to cut apart and salvage the shot only. While cutting them apart in at least half of them I found 2-4 spent primers mixed in with the shot. From the looks of the reloads , the person who reloaded them had no idea what a proper finished shell should look like. I never seen or hear of anyone putting spent primers in with the payload. Was this some kind of a trick used for some reason or ??? Does not make sense to me. Anyone ever heard of this pratice ?? Rick

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Spent primers would raise a heluva welt on man or beast.

Keller

3. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

what was the weight of the shot without the primers? Yes, I have heard of putting spent primers in the shot cup with shot, takes up room to get a better crimp. Also Chierros, beans etc. Gary

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have put a spent primer in the wad cup as a space filler using up some odd ball wads. Oldtimer told me the trick. It worked fine. He also said to use some popcorn in a pinch. Now I just use all the same hull, so I always have the right wad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.