1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

strange reload method

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

OK, I saw the STRANGEST thing today and want to know if it is actually dangerous. One of the guys at the range was shooting reloads on skeet with a 28 gauge. We were talking about reloading and he said he couldn't get his to crimp right...they were always too deep and shot was coming out. So....his solution..get this...was stuff a spent primer into the front of the crimp and plug the hole. He said they just "shot right out". I was struck speechless. He had not apparently killed himself yet since he was still talking to me but there has to be some reason this is not a good idea, right?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A spent primer has no explosive capability. Nothing dangerous about this, just a filler. You can do the same thing with cherios.

ss

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Would seem like it would eventually scratch the bore. Maybe the guy is just lucky. See if he'll give you some lotto numbers. Good luck.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jerseyshooter:

A limited number of published reload recipes call for a card wad to be inserted into the bottom of the wad's shot cup. It's only purpose is to occupy space in order to get a proper crimp. Shooters sometimes employ a variation on that theme when the recipe they're loading results in a dished crimp. Examples of fillers include a grain or three of popcorn, a kernel of hard field corn, or a spent primer.

I've not heard of 'plugging' a hole in the end of the crimp with a spent primer but I doubt it presents much of a hazard. I'd be more concerned about the load. A dished crimp (even severely so) is one thing. A hole the size of a 209 primer is another.

sissy

5. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I suppose you are right. No inherent danger. Just seems odd...especially since the guy was shooting a 3 grand Merkel SxS!

6. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

Jerseyshooter... You can't hurt a Merkel SXS. Larry

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

He should put the spent primer in the bottom of the shot cup. Lots of people do it. Wayne

8. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I'd love to know what he was using for componenets. I don't know of a recipe out there that would need that much space needed to be taken up. I went to Alliant 20/28 to get a better load with a better crimp from Unique. Either way, I never needed to take up space. I am amazed at the things I read on this site regarding reloading. You can't fix stupid.

9. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

that rates with the guy about 70 yrs old shooting skeet with a Zoli 410. His reloads were so bed they were closed with clear caulk - looked like snot. He too is still alive, I seen him today.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Probably no damage to anything but the pattern might suffer somewhat.

11. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Well, thanks for the conversation. I guess you learn something new every day! I had never thought of dropping a spent primer prior to dropping shot to take up some room. I will do that if I ever run across a recipe that leaves too much room. I do see some ugly reloads around. My buddy went down to Argentina to shoot dove and brought back some pictures of 20 gauge reloads...OMG they looked umbelievable. They keep shooting hulls till there is nothing left to crimp. Take care, all RICH

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

One ounce loads became popular before one ounce wads were available. Drooping a spent primer in a 1 1/8 oz wad was a common practice to get a one ounce load.

I always preferred to use a few grains of popcorn instead of a spent primer. I could never get the popcorn to pop from the heat of a fired shell. Too bad, the birds would have liked that.

Pat Ireland

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jerseyshooter, I don't see any guarantee that would keep not affect pressures in using this method. While it maybe insignificant one never knows and if this gentleman is no better reloader than apparent, I sure wouldn't follow his method!

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I agree with one writer above whose main worry was about scratching the bore...I can remember John Wooters years ago, before all the specialized light load wads, using one or two expended primers in the bottom of the cup to fill out a load. Hate to admit it, but I have done it also. Would not put one where it could contact the bore, however.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are worried about damaging the bore, use the candle method. Just put a few drops of melted wax to fill in the gaps. HMB

16. psfive

psfive Member

The wax methd to close a hole in the crimp works. But it works best on a paper hull. Paul

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The flavored candles work best. My favorite is raspberry.

HM

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm with putting a spent primer in the wad before dropping shot.. I've done it for year..and never had a problem.. later in life.. I used a piece of styrofoam.. When I was making my 5/8oz 1450 fps..I made a wad cutter..and cut spacers/fuller wads from a plastic waffle sign.. They weighted nothing.. and took up space..

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

HM
    "Flavored"????? You are not supposed to eat the candles. I think you will end up with slugs that will be difficult to "eject".

I buy scented candles. I then add champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate. Makes for an evening of fun.

Don Verna

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I used to load black powder ten gauge loads for my great uncle's old Schattuck market gun. I'd just put a card wad on top of the shot, no crimp, and seal them with sodium silicate (water glass)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

primer popcorn kernel reload