1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange phone calls

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am retired from the Banking business. Anytime you work with the public you sometimes deal with strange people. I remember three phone calls that I thought were a little strange.

#1 I originally worked for a Savings and Loan. Before they were called Savings and loans they were called Building and loans. One afternoon, I receive a call from an older man and he asked if we sold bricks?

I told him we did not sell bricks and also mentioned that he was calling a Savings and loan. He got upset and said you build homes, why do you sell bricks?

#2 A man calls the bank and asked who he could speak to in our insurance department? I told him everyone was with customers but he could call later and ask for Joe or Leo, or I could take a message. He said he would call later.

That evening a fellow employee gets a phone call from the same guy asking to speak to (Mr. Joe Orleo) in the insurance department. She asked him to please spell the name, and he spelled the last name Orleo.

#3 A woman calls the bank and I answer the call and she ask if Woody's chicken sells country style chicken dinners for half price on Thursday's? I said you are calling Security savings and Loan. She got upset when I asked her why she wasn't calling Woody's? She started yelling that their phone is always busy. I said how would we know if they sell country style chicken dinners on Thursday? She said well you work directly across the street from them, how don't you know? Then she hung up on me.

If you have ever received weird phone calls either at work or at home tell us about them.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I kept getting phone calls around 3 in the morning, and the male caller asked me if the coast was clear, I replied...How the hell would I know, I didn't live any where near the coast.....

3. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Steve,

I worked in a bank that force-place physical damage insurance (not liability) on rolling collateral when we received a cancellation notice.

A guy called me one day and said he had wrecked his Brrick Electric. I wasn`t quite sure what he was talking about. After a little probing I found out he had wrecked his Buick Electra.

4. steele

steele TS Member

Many years ago, when I was still with the State Police, I was working communications/dispatch. I received a call from a lady bitching about getting a citation for an expired inspection sticker on her car. It seems she was cited, but heard of a friend that was only issued a warning for the same violation. I told the lady there is no set rules how an trooper handles such situations, and that it is up to trooper descretion on who gets cited. She then proceeds to demand to talk to him. I asked "talk to who?" She responds, " I want to talk to TROOPER DESCRETION !! Butch from Pgh

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A 911 operator got a call from a lady who had to get her VCR working to record her shows that night. She didn't know how to set the VCR.

My uncle was a sleep and got a call after midnight. The caller asked for rev so and so. I'm sorry you have the wrong number and hung up. Later the phone rang and it was the same guy asking for the rev again. As I told you before you have the wrong number and he doesn't live here and hung up. Later AGAIN the phone rings and AGAIN it was the same guy asking for the rev. This time my uncle said "THIS IS THE REV AND IF YOU CALL ME ONE MORE TIME THIS LATE AT NIGHT I WILL HAVE GOD SHOOT YOU WITH A LIGHTING BOLT". He never called back. LOL.

6. senior smoke

These are funny. Recently over a span of 1 week my mother has received 10 phone calls from an elderly woman asking for her son Larry. Each time my elderly mother tells her that there is no Larry at that phone #.

The woman keeps calling and my mom talks to her and now discusses both their aliments. My mom has also tried to look up Larry's correct phone # for her. My mom now knows her first and last name and the last time I was at my mom's house she called and my mom wished her a happy Valentines day.

My mother wears me out at times as I set and listen and give up saying anything about it.
    Steve

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

One of the disadvantages of being a kid. ;-)

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I once had a call from a person who sounded like a rather proper older lady. She was selling time shares in the San Diego area. I told her that I knew somebody who worked there, my cousin Lenny. She was really happy to hear that and was friendly...I said: "You know, Lenny, with the white belt, gold neck chains, and matching white shoes..."

And then she reprimanded me for being rude!!! I pointed out to her that she called.

It is also fun to ask "cold canvassing callers" some kind of non sequitor, e.g., "Do you like smooth or chunky peanut butter?" Makes 'em mentally flinch almost every time!

9. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

This was in person, not on the phone.

I was working at Sportsmans Warehouse and a lady with a heavy accent was asking for an item, but I couldn't understand her. It sounded something like 'gambrels', so I showed her one. That wasn't it, and it took myself and another co-worker to finally determine she was looking for gall bladders. Dan

10. senior smoke

Those are funny.
    Steve

11. rd

rd TS Member

I was hanging around my local gunstore (called Bait'n Bullet) when the owner got a call from a solicitor of some sort, so he put it on the speakerphone, as he liked to entertain us by screwing with them a bit. We all cracked up when the caller asked to speak to Mr. Bait. The owner very seriously told him that Mr. Bait had just died the day before, and it would be better if he called back some other day when Mr. Bullet would be available!

12. Kolargunnut

Kolargunnut TS Member

My wife works for the city in our town and sells business Licenses among other duties ......

One day she received a call from someone wanting to know the issue price for a "Palm Reading/Fortune Telling" license .....

She just couldn't resist and the response was ... "you tell me" .... "you don't get it right and no license" !!!

Be Safe All, Jimmy

13. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My phone number is very similar to that belonging to the County Jail of my county.

I get frequent calls where the caller was trying to reach the Jail. One night I received a call and just answered "hello". The caller asked "how much is the bail for (and gave a name)?"
    I replied "Two Million Dollars" and hung up.

Seconds later the phone rang again same person and said "How much did you say that bail was"?

Of course I then told them they had the wrong number!

Allen

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I was a self employed small business (carpenter- used home #)for about 30 years, the 1st couple of which we had a # that was just 1 digit different than 2 other business' in town, 1 was CNW R.R. and the other was a local pizza joint. Talk about calls at all hours of the day & night, then they got mad at us because they couldn't read a phone #. Finally gave up & had ours changed when my wife caught one of the kids taking orders for pizza and hanging up. Maybe some people learned to read?????You think?? Kinda funny now looking back. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.