1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange loading info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Looking in the Alliant reloaders guide and find that the load that I have been shooting for years is not listed. AA case, Win 209, 17 gr. Red dot, Clay Buster CB1118(WAA 12 replacement wad). This combo seems to be right in the ball park for all wads and primers except clay buster and Win 209, for that they say use 18.5 American Select. If I switch to Fed 209A or any other primer then Red Dot is OK or with any other wad Red Dot is OK. Same for Extra Lite and 1 oz loads. I have loaded this combo for 20 years, 100,000 rounds with no problem and plan to continue. I wonder what Alliant knows about this load that I don't. Have any ideas? I wonder if I am on thin ice and don't know it.

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Goerge, that 17.0 gr Red Dot load will be safe with just about any combination of wad-primer-hull that you can come up with.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

CALL Alliant please.

Yes it may have worked fine for years but you could be up against the pressure limit and not know it. They will tell you if its ok or not. It doesn't cost anything to get the answer from the people who do this for a living. Swapping components and loading loads that are not published is a risky gamble. Just don't want you or anyone else to get hurt. If its not a published recipe, don't load it. If Alliant says its ok then you know you are safe.

Call or email Mr.Ben Amonette at Alliant. He is the guy that can answer your load questions.

1-800-276-9337

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I load the newer AA hulls almost exclusively and the only thing different about my recipe is I use Winchester wads that are made to fit in the 2 piece hull. I thought I read that Clay Buster is supposed to fit as well.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Alliant does not list the CB-1118 for any hulls because it is a direct replacement for the WAA12. The load you have worked up is the same load listed for the WAA12. 1145 fps., 10,000 psi. Assuming your loading 1-1/8 ounce. I called a couple of years ago and ask, you should too.

FWIW, Hodgdon data shows the CB-1118 to have lower pressure than the WAA12. But in the front of the manual it says they can be interchanged?

Wayne

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Wayneo has the answer. I quit using the Win wad because the petals were folded in on to many and hard to slide onto the wad pusher. I feel safe again.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you are afraid to use AA data with a direct AA replacement wad God help you. You shouldn't be allowed near a reloader.

HM

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Halfmile

I totally agree, they call them clones FOR a reason. I use my Green dusters with my 700X powder and have never seen them listed in IMR/Hogdons site, for it is a clone of the win. wad. I am happy with the loads and never go above 18gr. usualy between 16.5 and 17.6 gr's.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Shame on you for not doing what is listed . LOL .Can you see what the book of all the components to safely reload shells would be ?? About 4 inches thick . I have been using what I think is a shell for me and I keep the recoil to a minumum . It would be different reloading ass kicking shells .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.