1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Bidding on GunBroker.com Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dr.beav, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I am attempting to attach a copy of the bid sheet from Gunbroker.com that lists the bids on the Model 12 I talked about earlier this week. If the listing posted correctly you can seen that a "DouglasHA" raised his bid 7 times without anayone bidding in between those bids. Don't that look a little bit strange? the beav
    [​IMG]

2. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

bump after fixing!

3. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

[​IMG]

Look at the times that the bids were made, 13 seconds apart. Looks like he utilized the AutoBid Feature with $20 increments. GunBrokers computer is automatically making those bids for DouglasHA up to a maximum bid of $650.00

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Twostraight: I understand what you are saying - but, if the bidder is truly wanting to buy the gun as reasonable as he can, isn't he defeating his own purpose by uping his own bid - seems rather dumb to me if that is what is going on -- I would rather think that the person is bidding for the owner, and in this case they decided that the gun needs to bring at lease $650 and were just fishing around to see what they could get out of it. It leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth to get caught up in one of these "deals". the beav

5. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

At the end w12-20 did the same thing, what appears to be happening is these guys are using the auto bid system that seem to be messing up. They enter their maximum bid and increament, then the computer automatically runs the bid up to the maximum agianst itself. It seems to be more of a autobid issue.

John MI

6. Bluechip

Bluechip TS Member

I am not experienced with gunboroker but I am with ebay. What it looks like to me is the guy is bidding against someone else's proxy bid. Every time he bids he is automatically out bid by the other guys proxy. He then ups his bid and tries again, only to be out bid again. He does this until he hits the other guys max and takes the lead. Later when he gets out bid by someone else he starts this all over again. It's basically a poor bidding strategy. On ebay the best is to bid your max bid once towards the end of the auction and hope for the best. Gun broker has the extra 15 min rule so I guess you should just bid your max and wait.

Steve

7. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Was there a reserve on the gun?

I think he could have possibly been upping his bid in small increments until he reached the reserve at which time the owner would be obligated to complete the transaction. If someone then outbid him he could have dropped out.

I am not sure this logic is sound but it would seem to make sense if he really wanted the gun and then just got outbid.

Jim

8. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

HC John: Yes, I understand your thoughts on the auto-bid system, but some of those bids are hours apart -- and, the system does not show any other person's bid comeing in and causing the auto-bidder's bid to be raised. If someone else was bidding against the auto-bidder, then I would think it sould show up in between the auto bidder's bids. In the cited 7 instances, no new bid is listed for any other person that would have caused the auto-bid to raise any bids. Rather confusing I would say. Really makes it look like the person is rainsing his own bids. the beav

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That same thing just happened to me. If you go on GunBroker and search in rifles for "Model Six," you'll find a Remington Model Six pump in 6mm. The minimum bid was $455 or something so I placed an AutoBid for $501. Their computer immediately told me I was outbid. I tried $526 and the same thing happened. I then bid $551 and it happended again - all three times by the same bidder. Obviously, he had placed an AutoBid for something higher than $551. The auction is only in its first day and has nine more to go, so I'll check back later.

But at this rate, that Model Six is going to do big numbers! I just missed an equally nice one in 6mm locally for $475 with a scope...

Ed

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

There is nothing wrong with the bidding. The fellow bids several times trying to beat the higher bidder, in this case he bid a couple of times to ascertain what Dr.Beav's bid was. Later on he bid many times trying to pass up Mikej's bid (which was higher). It has absolutely nothing to do with "shilling". It is just the way auctions work on Gunbroker and the way it works on Ebay. It does NOT "autobid" you up a fixed amount of $20.00. It autobids for the PRESENT high bidder to an amount under his maximum bid but higher than the lower bidder. It actually makes very little differenc unless you are the LAST (and highest) bidder. "TRX" did the same thing on the last day and successfully passed up a bid made by "gooseducks" the day before and eventually won the auction. Rick ~~~~Texas

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I suggest you stay off Gunbroker until you understand how the bidding works.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

rick979 gives the clearest explanation of what happened. The guy was simply upping his bid because other people's previously set proxy bids were automatically increasing and preventing him from being the high bidder. Each time, he decided to try again a bit higher. No big deal, no evidence of shill.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunbroker auto bid

gunbroker autobid not working