1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Uncle Screech, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Well it's been a productive off-season here on trapshooters; seems like all the important questions have been answered. Such as, the EC are a bunch of jerks, it's 7.5, anything else and the terrorists win, full choke unless you have an extra full, anything else is, you guessed it, racist. So, here's a question I haven't seen here before, (I didn't do a search and don't intend to, so there). Who here uses a straight razor? I guess this is sort of limited to the guys but if there are any ladies out there that use them, well you are just plain too scary for me...

I started about a year ago when they once again raised the price of replacement blades for my super duper 5 bladed gizmo. I went to that because the replacement blades for my super duper 3 bladed gizmo were ridiculous. While trying to figure out what I could do I remembered the GREAT shaves I got at the barber when I was in the Army over in Germany. Those ladies were artists and we all got a big laugh when I asked for the Aqua Velva after shave.

Got any tips? Mine revolve mostly around being patient. When I'm not I bleed. I got a microwave for the bedroom so I can heat a hand towel. I put hot water in the cup with the brush when I take a shower so the shaving cream is hot when I start. The Germans make the best steel. The Brits make the best shaving cream and after shave. Damascus steel is WAY out of my price range. I figure I have saved a lot of money, most of which goes to reloading supplies.

So, what say you all?

Greg

2. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

I too remember those shaves in Germany- We used to to get them at V Corps HQ in Frankfort. No one will do it here because of the liability, have not thought of doing it myself. But you sure bring back some good and fun memories. Thanks

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My Dad was a barber and he started me on a straight razor when I started shaving.

Soaking and lathering your beard is very necessary, and you cannot hurry ... or you will BLEED!

Maintenance of a straight razor is also very necessary ... you must periodically hone it and strop it when shaving ... or it quickly becomes dull ... and you will BLEED!

It did not take me long before I saved up and bought a Schick Injector razor for myself!

Retro is fun ... but not in this case!

4. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use to use a safety razor, with the screw on head. When I started dating my wife of 30 years, her mother made me change to a Trac 2. Never looked back. Just hate giving her credit. I still hack my face up. I did use a straight for awhile, like my granddad, but went to a safety razor. Charlie

5. A201

A201 TS Member

I used to collect, sooo, I have several and among them is a weeks set of Winchesters ivory or bone handeled ( can't tell which ) inlayed with silver and rolled in in a soft wrap. They were professionally sharpened at Smoky Mtn. knife works many years ago and not used since. I don't have the nerve to apply something thet incredibly sharp to my baby soft neck. Roger

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My barber will still straight razor you. We live in a small town and he will only do it for long time regulars. He says the big thing these days is the worry about transmitting disease in case you get nicked.

He gave my brother the best high and tight he's ever had.

I don't mess with the straight razor. Go to sams club or whatever or online and buy the mach 3 heads in bulk. I think I get them in a 40 pack and it is considerably less expensive.

Nick

7. oz

oz Active Member

if you need a strop for a knife you are sharpening the knife wrong. use the steel you use for your kitchen knives.

8. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Best blades, cheap prices. Try Pace shave.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I went to barber school and was told some people were cut out for that type of work and some were not. We use to shave and cut hair for the bums here in Milwaukee for free years ago.

One day I had this guy in my chair and gave him a haircut and he also requested a shave. I told him I was new to shaving and he said "everyone has to learn sometime".

After the ambulance picked him up for stiches, my instructor sat me down and we had a man to man talk. I left barbering school that day, and have never used a straight edge razor since.

I do not know of any straight edge that can compare with the store bought razors of today. My suggestion is to can the idea, as your face will thank you.
    Steve Balistreri

10. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

A sun baked 80 year old crop farmer went to town one day to get a shave.

"My skin is so wrinkled," he told the barber, "that I can't get a close shave."

The barber reached up on the shelf behind the chair and took down a wooden ball about the size of a large walnut. "Here," said the barber, "put this in your mouth."

The farmer complied and the skin of his cheek stretched over the ball perfectly. When the barber was finished the farmer looked in the mirror and said, "That looks great...that's the best shave I've ever had."

Moments later as the farmer was paying up, the thought hit him. "Say," he said, "what if I'd swallowed the ball?"

The barber smiled and said, "Well, you'd have just brought it back in a couple of days like everybody else."

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The warning ' do not attempt to duplicate these stunts at home' comes to mind when talking about the straight razor.

But I agree, there is nothing quite like the old fashioned barber shop shave. Too bad it is a lost art.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

In Korea in 1957-58 it cost us GI's $0.60 for a shave, haircut and a massage.

Loved it!

Hauxfan!

13. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I use a 1965 Gillette Thin Boy Adjustable safety razor. I have several other DE razors (vintage and new). I have been interested in going to a straight razor, but haven't quite convinced myself to do it. I do go to an old fashion barber at least twice a month for a shave.....nothing else like that experience.

JMHO

Jim C

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use straight razors to shave with for the last 5 years, it is a piece of cake, you have to rotate the razors between the shaves, about 1 time a year I have to hone the razors.

I use a good glycerin soap, and always shave after getting out of a hot shower, strop the razor before each shave.

but, I do have a go tee and mustache, and in the winter I only shave my neck.

I will stay with this from now on, not paying for those high priced bladed!!

tony

15. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I do not use a straight razor but I recently kicked the can.

Went to Mueller Shave Bar. It is great.

16. oz

oz Active Member

frank c...read it again. use a STEEL for kitchen knives. if you have to, use a STEEL for your hunting knives

17. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

And after the steel use the strop if you want a really sharp blade. Apply red jewelers rouge to a worn out, smooth belt. This is not a razor strop but will remove the small teeth left by the steel.

18. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Shotshell, good link. I have been looking for the alternative to spending $15 for 8 blades.

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The good ole days weren't really that good, and they were bloody.

20. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

These are the best disposable blades I have used. I was skeptical at first but after using them I am sold. Fantastic product and the smoothest longest lasting blades I have used on a really tough beard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.