1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Straight English stocks for Trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Though 99% of the trap guns seen have conventional pistol gripped stocks...

Occasionally see guns specifically designed for trap with straight English stocks.

For example, have one vintage single-shot Ithaca and one Winchester Model 21 specifically made for trap shooting but the original purchasers wanted the straight English stocks.

An 80+ year old gunsmith friend has a large collection of straight English stocked vintage trap guns.

While accepting the straight stock in trap guns is the extremely small minority...

What are the advantages of the straight stock for a trap gun ?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I hunt with a straight stocked gun (typically a Ruger 28 bore or an H. L. Payne 16 bore). I tend to walk with the breach open and on seeing game close the gun and bring it up in one motion.

The straight stock makes this a fluid action and I find the lighter guns much easier to carry for the hours spent in the field.

For trap/skeet/sporting clays I have heavier guns with pistols grips, and while I typically shoot skeet & clays 'gun down' I like the heavier guns for recoil reduction.

I did have a straight stocked trap gun (L. C. Smith) and saw no real difference in the guns.

I do think the straight stock means your face gets hit with more recoil than with the pistol grip (IMHO).

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Uncomfortable as all get out for a whole day of shooting; really plays hell with the wrist.

MK

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with the unknown one!

Straight grip stocks were mainly designed for double guns with two triggers. Easier to slide the hand back for that second trigger was the intent. Might work ok in the grouse woods but it would make for a very long day at the traps!

Hap

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have shot straight stock SBT's and notice very little difference. I think it is just a matter of what you are use to. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

english stock for shooting trap

shooting trap with straight english stock