Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stos Lube ????

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Joe Woods 
#1 ·
The last Stos lube I bought was white in colour.
Been using it since 1975. Did I buy Stos .

Joe Woods/Ontario

#7 ·
I have a new unused jar of the clear STOS. I have entertained offers to buy it but I can't sell it for enough to pay for the time and effort of sending it to somebody. I'm still working on the last jar I bought and for the amount I use on my 391 it will last well past my lifetime.

Please help me get rid of this jar, I'm tired of looking at it.

#8 ·
I called P-W when this first came to light and talked to Bruce.

He told me that the formulation was the same with a white pigmentation added; he said he didn't know why.

I then sent emails to Brian Steele's (general manager of record) and Karen Tachney's (office manager/finance) personal email addresses at P-W. They never came back but they were never answered either.

Good luck!

Mike K

#9 ·
I have used the original "clear" STOS since I bought a 800+ from Whiz in 2005. It was good stuff. I believe the new/improved STOS might be a bit better.

If you want great stuff, drop Whiz a line and order some ALube that he sells in several sizes, including syringe similar to STOS. I have found his product has staying power far beyond STOS, original or new/improved.

#10 ·
At one time Whiz recommended a Lubri-Plate low temp grease named AeroLube over STOS. It is white, lithium based and was developed for overhead garage doors.

I've never been able to find any reference on line to anything called simply "ALube" so I wonder if it's AeroLube he's back to selling?

Mike K

#12 ·
Mike, if I sold a grease it would only be natural to recommend mine over my competitor's. Every Lubriplate I have ever used is a nasty grease.

Synthetic food grade grease is the way to go. Clear and clean. STOS has always been my favorite. If they add white pigment there are other choices.

#14 ·
Mike, When I say nasty it is a relative term. Try wiping axle grease off your clothes, that's nasty stuff. The Lubriplate I have used separates after it sets for awhile and it's also nasty. That stuff has been around forever and the synthetics are much better. I use STOS on my gun and don't like messing with axle grease when I am getting ready to shoot.

As for STOS being too thick, I disagree. When used on my loader it does not get pushed off of the posts. You are right about the nylon bushings. No real need for grease there. I use a light oil at those locations.

You mention LP 105, I have a 10oz tube of that stuff. I have to knead the tube to use it. It is all separated. Moses used it on his wagon wheels to flee Egypt. I guess it was good enough for him.

#15 ·
Joe
I started the origional post months ago after I opened the jar of STOS I bought at the Grand. It may be the same? but I switched to Suoer Lube it's clear and seems to do the job. Note Wiz sent me some white grease after my post and it seemed to be the same stuff, as I told him. Good luck. Jack Melitsky

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.