1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STOS Change in Formula????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I purchased a jar of STOS at the Grand from Gamaliel. Today I opened the jar and the grease is white in color. In the past STOS grease was always clear/translucent. Did they change the formula or did I get ripped off??? I always liked a clear product, I may have to go back to Super Lube. jack melitsky

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Funny, i got some at the Grand and mine looked darker than what I already had.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am no expert, but I was told the color changed "a while back" when I questioned the factory. New loader showed up with white all over it. Thought it very odd they would use something other than STOS on a new PW loader.

I did really like the clear STOS, still have a couple of jars and syringes. When it is gone, I will probably change to another product as well.

4. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn TS Member

It's probably no good. You should give it to your son......for free.

5. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Why not call Bruce at P-W and ask him?

Mike Killian

6. philk

philk Member

Are they just repackaging white lithium grease and quadrupeling the price ????

7. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

According to Bruce at P-W (yes, I called him), the formulation of STOS has not changed; it's exactly the same as the gold stuff. The color comes from a white pigment that's been added. He didn't know why it was added but there was obviously a good reason... maybe P-W's or maybe the supplier's.

Mike

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I use the STOS Gold, been working on the same jar for years because a little goes a long way ... Between STOS and Clenzoil I got all the bases covered ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

sacrilege! Leave it alone. They may be thinking dirt will show up better. The same thinking that produced the camo loader.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have one new jar of the clear STOS which I will sell. The reason I will sell it is because I don't have a break open gun anymore. I have another half used jar of STOS which I use on the forend nut threads and the choke tubes of my 391. At the rate I'm using it I will have to live to 120 to finish the old jar before I start on the new one.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I sell a replacement for STOS called aLube. It is pure white in color and you'd swear it was Crisco, but it is a lithium based lubricant. STOS is similar looking to Vaseline in color.

Are you sure that it is STOS? Reason I ask is becuase my aLube comes in an identical container as STOS. I also sell STOS. Both are the same price but you get a bit more of the aLube.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

If you dig further, go to your hardware store, get a jar of hercules faucet lube, food safe, 1/2 the cost of stos, pretty sure comes out of the sam barrel! incinerate em!

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Basically just remarketed dielectric grease.

14. skip

skip Member

STOS Grease is a Food Grade and Machinery High Temp Anti-Wear Grease certified for use by the FDA for use in meat and poultry plants, it is not a dielectric grease.

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

skip, Do you actually have knowledge of the origins of STOS? It is supposed to be synthetic. I was told by a supposedly knowledgable source, now don't laugh, that it was developed during ww2 as an udder lube for milking machines

16. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Wiz

The jar of lube is marked STOS Multi-Purpose Lubricant. The label is the same as my old jar of STOS. jack melitsky

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. SuperLube is superior to STOS, anyway.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Barry, that is just an opinion and here is my not so technical review. When my gun was new, it was very stiff. I would have to relube it after two rounds of trap. STOS has more lubricity and allowed me to shoot longer before relubing than any other lube I tried. Super Lube was second best and it is cheaper.
    I tried a variety of other common lubes and they were all the same. The two are both good and they are clean, not nasty like axle grease.

19. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I use Lubriplate 630-AA on my Brownings on the forearm knuckle and hinge pin.

Mike

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have a big tube of Lubriplate, it separates after it sets awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gunwerks grease vs stos

stos grease

stos gun lubricant
stos lube

stos lubricant

stos lubricant review

stosgrease
where to buy stos lubricant