1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Story About a Outstanding Sniper

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ivanhoe, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

From what I am seeing in this presentation I would think the Best Sniper this country has ever had.

This should appeal to those that are respectful of this countries Military Hero and great performers in times of war. Oh and all of the former Marines should appreciate it also. It was sent to me by a friend and has been added to my saved files

Bob Lawless

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I know two people who personally knew Carlos and had shot with him. Everything that was said here is true and a lot more that wasn't said. Semper Fi.

3. bill2

bill2 Member

Bob, Two good books about this Marine are Marine Sniper and White Feather.

R/Bill

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

If you want to read a really good book. Read marine sniper. That is possibly the best book i have ever read, and it alot of it is from hathcocks perspective. Great book, for a truely great man.

5. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I agree. I have read Marine Sniper three times, a great book.

BB

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I saw a picture of the 50 BMG on a tripod he made the famous shot with. He just pulled the scope off his regular Remmy 700 and put it on the Browning.

A friend was just showing me one of the books 2 weeks ago.

True valor and loyalty to his country.

HM

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Long Tra'ng

I have read this book countless times. My dad stopped by his house back in the day, he has an autographed copy.
    I am going to the Hathcock range next week.

8. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Bob,thank's for this thread.

Boceohas

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Great stuff Ivan

10. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Marine sniper is a great book,another is Chickenhawk,story of a 'nam chopper pilot from start to finish.All the best Ross

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Agree that Marine Sniper, by Charles Henderson, is a great read and is based on actual interviews with Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock and Major Ed Land, his commanding officer.

Stephen Hunter, author of many novels on sniping, acknowledges in "Time to Hunt" that he used the life and exploits of Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock as the basis for his character, Bob Swagger (AKA Bob the Nailer of Blue Eye, Arkansas)featured in "Point of Impact", "Black Light", "Time to Hunt" and other novels. Hunter also refers to "Marine Sniper" as one of his sources and, IMO, Hunter's style of writing, is an extension of Charles Henderson's style.

The Movie, Shooter, is based on "Point of Impact" but it does not accurately the book. The plot and main characters however are similar and it is an entertaining movie.

Ed Ward

12. lacy

lacy TS Member

Carlos Hathcock was voted by the NRA to be one of the 50 greatest shooters of the 20th century.

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I read Carlos's story in the book one shot, one kill. Great book, great story,

14. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Also another great book.

15. steele

steele TS Member

I respond to this posting very delicately, as I don't want to alienate anyone or have it thought that I am insulting anyone, especially Sgt Hathcock.
    I have to question the validity/accuracy of the 2500 yard shot with the 50 cal machinegun equipped with the rifle scope. First off, 50 cal machine guns of the time were not accuracy weapons. They were made to throw lots of big bullets, without regard to pinpoint accuracy. The triggers were basically an on/off switch. The ammo was mass produced. No special bullets, powder, or primers. Again, not made for pinpoint accuracy. Now mount a standard rifle scope on a non-standard weapon. If I remember right, "One Shot-One Kill" showed a Model 70 30-06 with a Redfield scope 8 or 10 power. At 2500 yards, a standard riflescope crosshair would cover 25". That is wider than an average man. I feel this shot could be made, but how many attempts were made to get it. For a single "cold shot", I think an awful lot of luck would invovled.
    I have a single shot Barrett model 99 which a play around with now & then. I only have about 950 yards to experiment with, but I have yet to get close to the accuracy needed to pull off that length of shot. The world record for a 50 cal is just a little of 3" for three shots at 1000 yards. Now that is with a rifle, ammo, sights 50 years advanced. At 950 yards, shooting military surplus machinegun ammo, my Barret is lucky to put 3 shots in 24". With custom rounds from Barret, on a rock solid sand bag rest, I can sometimes cut that the half.
    Again, I would never attempt to discredit the actions of one of my one own heros. I just think there was a little embellishment to the story. Just for fun, maybe Mythbusters can try to re-create the shot.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No offence but just because you don't shoot your Barret with better accuracy does not mean anything unless you are a handpicked sniper with all the training,talent and experience to make those kind of shots. He did have the best Marine armour customize the .50

That would be like me saying the best I can get my K-80 to shoot is 97 out of 100.

17. trench12

trench12 TS Member

There is a series of books "Death from Afar" the history of Marine Corps sniping by Chandler that would be interesting reading for anyone that wants to play down the efforts of Sgt Hathcock. His son is a major in the army working with sniper and spec ops units.

18. steele

steele TS Member

I knew I shouldn't have said anything. My question is not about anyones shooting ability, not mine, your's, or Daffy Ducks! My question was in regards to the equipment available at the time. If you believe the equipment was as good 50+ years ago, great. I did not, at any time down play the accomplishments of anyone. I don't know if you were in the military back then. If you were, then you should remember the technology of then, compared to now. If it was done with that equipment, it was even a better shot.

19. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Muzzleblast:

From what I have read about Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock, he was not one to inflate the truth. You may also want to consider that if he missed the shot, there would be nothing to talk about. We also do not know how many times he attempted to make a similar shot. I think that he made the shot.

I remember watching a History Channel program that featured the US Army Air Corps pilot who shot down Japanese Admiral Yamamato with a P-38 fighter. He said that he was at an extreme range and was simply testing his guns before be bore in closer. He had to significantly lead the Japanese medium bomber in which Yamamato was riding and was surprised to see his tracers straddle the Japanese plane. The P-38 had four 50 caliber and one 20 mm guns, either type of which are lethal at far greater range than which they could be accurately aimed.

Some days the shooting gods are on your side.

Ed Ward

20. steele

steele TS Member

I'm not doubting the shot was made,as it was a confirmed it. I was only interested in how amazing it was made with the "ancient" equipment that was available. I would be very surprised if indeed there was only one attempt. I would like someone to try to replicate the shot with modern weaponry. As I posted above, there is a world of difference between machinegun ammo and ammo designed for the 50. If I ruffled any feathers, that was not my intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.