1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing trap gun in car?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I want to store my shotgun in the car while I'm at work and I need some ideas for the best way to do that. My parking lot for work is within a mile of a trap range and I'd like to be able to shoot a round after work.

Is there a good way to lock up a gun in a Ford Explorer so I am not tempting anyone to break into the vehicle? I'd use a trigger lock on the gun, but don't know what other precautions to take.

Thanks.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Put it in the back and put a big ole towell over the case or lay it across the back seat floor. My little SUV came with darker tinted rear windows from the factory and ya cant see my Mossberg in the bright read case that says "GUN" on it laying in the back.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Questor....No, no, no, no.... Do not leave your gun in the Explorer unless you want it gone! It will be almost impossible to disguise in a rig like that where anyone can look into it. No gun should be left in a car unless it is absolutely necessary, and then only if it is insured to the hilt. Take the gun to the club and leave it there if you want to shoot after work or take it to work with you if you can. Anything else and you're taking a chance that you might be sorry for taking and could have avoided.....Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Who is this guy? FD

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes.......Somebody makes these false floors to go in the back! Sounds like thats what you need!

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Where did you say that parking lot was??? lol

Hauxfan!

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dan ... you remind me of a friend that puts everything in the rear of his little sports wagon suv and is always worried about somebody looking in, seeing it and stealing it.

Over thanksgiving he was worried about somebody seeing the groceries through the back window and somebody breaking into the car to steal his families turkey and stuff but the entire time his briefcase and laptop case were laying on the back seat with his company logo and his company security badge hooked to the laptop case. He wasn't worried though because it wasn't all the way in the back where somebody could see it through the back window ... it was really a hoot to think he lived in fear of his turkey and fixins getting stolen but the laptop he was responsible for and his employers security badge which both are far more valuable didn't bother him a bit since it was not in the back.

Put a towel or blanket across the gun case and nobody will know the difference and if somebody wants to break in and steal it they are going to break in whether its hidden or out in the open.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Lumper..... You're right.....BUT...... If the gun isn't there to steal, there isn't anything to worry about, is there?...Dan

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned that someone is going to steal my shells.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had my K-80 stolen from the trunk of my car because the broke into the car and opened the trunk with the button in the glove compartment. Now I unplug the
    solenoid that opens the trunk so that I must use the key to open it.

This only applies to cars with remote or glove compartment or trunk release buttons in the car.

3 months later when I got off the plane from Las Vegas Columbus Ohio Police Dept called and my son answered the phone and they said my gun was found a few hundred feet in the woods over a fence where it had been covered with snow. The fellows son that saw the gun case told his son to jump over the fence it looks like one of those little piano cases, they opened it and said it was a gun and called the police, I had advertised a reward they refused it, I was so happy to get it back that I did not notice the forearm was not in the case. Insurance paid for the gun and when I told the insurance company I was bringing it to their office they said no, I said it is your gun and they had me bring it to an empty office in their bldg to give me a reciept.

Some good things do happen, but hope it never happens again, so I will unplug the solenoid on all my vehicles woth remote trunk releases.

Dr.longshot

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Dan,

You need to remember that not all of us live in California.

jim brown

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I use a John Hall case which I "hardened". I pulled down the fabric from the inside top of the case and put in a case-long aluminum angle iron. I drilled through the top of the case and through the angle iron and installed a hardened "U" bolt which sticks up near the carry handle. I run a chain around the case through the "U" bolt and chain the case to the hold-downs in the cargo area.

Is this fool proof? No, not at all BUT it will defeatr the smash and grap guy or the thief who doesn't want to spend too much time around a strange car or who isn't carrying fairly heavy tools.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

ps Cover the entire thing with a blanket or the vision shield pulled over the cargo area.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim.... Tell that to the kids from Tennessee that had all their guns stolen. I don't care where you live....If a thief or druggie can see it, they will steal it every time. There are tweakers and thieves everywhere. Believe it or not, there are some places left in California where it is as nice as anywhere else in the nation but I still wouldn't leave my gun in the back of my Explorer. I won't take the risk if I don't have to...Dan

15. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Go to Truckvault.com for a better solution.

16. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

If you decide to cover it, don't use a blanket or similar item to do the covering which makes it appear your hiding something valuable! Not all crooks/thieves are completely stupid! What ever you do and the way you do it, make sure it looks as inconspicuos as possible..

17. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

If your explorer has 3rd row seats with sliding cover there is enough room to store gun case between the second row seats and where the 3rd row seats are stored. You have to take everything out of the back of the explorer and drop the 2nd row seats to get it out which is a pain but it is as secure as you can get without doing a gun safe or chain type stuff.

Rgds

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Leaving guns unatended in a car, not a good idea. Especially for a length of time. More cars are stolen from parking lots in my area than smash and grabs. Secure gun at club if posssible, with fellow shooter or bring inside with you at work if possible. Good thing is a lot of smash and grab thiefs want small things they can easily flee with. A 25lb gun/guncase is not such item.

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

My work has a policy of "no guns or ammunition on company property". This included the parking lot. :( If you could take it inside, you'll be very lucky.
    Here's what I'd do:

Put the case in the back, then dump the contents of your home's trash/garbage barrel over the case. No one will feel compelled to break in.

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Questor?.....Oh Questor!....are you there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.