1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Jul 31, 2013.

1. butcher

butcher Member

How many use wooly snap caps and why? I hear the wool attracts moisture. Do you use them to keep oil from going into the stock, lubricating the chamber or just to relive the firing pin? How do you store your guns, barrel down or barrel up and if down how do you keep them stable?

2. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Before storage, I make sure my guns are clean and then push a patch lightly moistened with my favorite "gun oil" through the bore. Follow up with one pass of a dry patch. Drop firing pin(s). Then I wipe down the exterior and store MUZZLE DOWN. That's not so much for oil control, but rather to protect the butt pads. Good Shooting, Ed

3. butcher

butcher Member

Doesn't the dry patch after an oily one defeat the purpose of lubricating the barrel?

4. butcher

butcher Member

5. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Store the gun with the stock up, any oil will be on the end of the bbl, not leaching into the stock.

Kenny U

6. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

charger asked: Doesn't the dry patch after an oily one defeat the purpose of lubricating the barrel?

No, one dry patch will remove the excess oil, but a film will remain that is plenty of protection for routine storage. For long-term storage many people use a product like RIG. -Ed

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Storing barrel down saves the recoil pad. I have seen more recoil pads crushed from storage than I have seen oil soaked wood. I also use gun socks to prevent safe dings. Mark