1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bud168, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bud168

bud168 Member

Guys,

I started to think about this as I got closer to my house being completed, over the summer I bought 50 flats of shells mainly because I got a good price at the time, I think there are 45 left... For almost the last 20 years I have been reloading shells so I never had to worry about storing a large amount of loaded shells.. What do you guys recommend for fire safety storage? I'd like to put them in the basement (which will be finished) in about 2 months so that there is a controlled air environment..

- Kurt Nelson

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Store mine in the garage. Not totally climate controlled, but stays above 45-50 and below 80-85 year-round.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I keep mine on a pallet in the garage. If you have 45 flats, why spend the energy to carry 1500 pounds into the house and down the stairs, only to have to spend the energy to carry 1500 pounds up the stairs and out of the house so you can use them?

Scott

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Store eight to ten pallets of shotgun shells in an unfinished but enclosed basement with two high capacity dehumidifiers. Constant cool temperature and humidity.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have 130 flats in my garage, and two Mopars with Hemi's in them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

130 flats!!! How much do you shoot a year to have that much of a supply?

7. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

WPT,
    Store the BB's somewhere else! Don't endanger those Hemi's! The BB's can be replaced but if those are the real Hemi's... they can't!

Pat

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

In the garage in AZ.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was stocking up when I got good prices, due to health reasons I probably won't shoot much this year if at all ... They won't spoil so I'll have them for next year ... The Doctor has me restricted, but I can still drive ...
    wpt_2008_0303_1348.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1350.jpg
    WPT ... (YAC) .,..

10. TjayE

TjayE Member

NICE CAR

11. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Okay, I need a cigarette!
    Had one of those once. I still have one of the HEMI fender flags over my reloading bench.

Pat

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have to find the pictures of the other one, since I fried the Hard drive I can't find anything ... I know they are on here someplace ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I store shells in my golf cart garage which has louvered doors. I purchase 100 flats every year and they arrive around the end of May. I shoot about half of them through November and the rest during the spring while waiting for the new order arrive. Our winter weather in Mobile is very wet but it doesn't seem to affect the shells. During the winter I shoot reloads for practice and an occasional flat to confirm they are still functional.

Doc

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

25k rounds a year....nice...wish I had the time to even get 1/5th of that in.

15. Ray Collins

Well I shoot a little more that; counting the reloads it is usually around 40,000 rounds per year. Age is gaining on me so I have to shoot fast!!

Doc

16. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Doc, If it is not too personal, where do you buy your shells and what do you have to pay for them? If I am being too intrusive just say so. Jack

17. Ray Collins

Not at all; one of my sporting clays friends puts together a group and we buy about 2000+ flats. The cost is $51 to $52 per flat depending on the load; 28ga. and 410's are more as you would expect. The price is delivered to us at one of the group member's warehouse but you must arrange transport to your storage facility. Hope this helps.

Doc

18. Ray Collins

Got it...wait, what did he say?!!

Doc

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Doc,

I don't think that was English. By the way, nice stash of Kemens.

20. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Doc, Can you please take that top box on the third column and turn it around so it faces the correct direction? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.