1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing reloads in a unheated garage.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

We've been down this road before but for the benefit of new posters has anyone ever had any problems storing reloaded shells in a unheated garage?

I reload with Clays and Clays Universal and have had no issues shooting them year around or with storing them in a unheated garage here in Iowa.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hope there are no issues with it, I've been doing it for about 50 years

Haven't had any problems, and a few of those years were in NW Iowa and the rest in Texas where we do get warm humid air following a cold snap and the is some condensation as in tractors dripping water off them, but no problems with the ammo, both shotgun and centerfire rifle

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I never had any problems either until I made up some loads with Green Dot and STS primers. Then I did get a feww bloopers. The problem went away when the ammo warmed up. A hotter primer would have probably prevented the cold weather bloopers with that load.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bring a weeks supply into the house. It takes a few days to warm them up to room temperatures. I had bloopers when I left GD loads out in the in my unheated workshop.

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

I've left reloads in my truck for weeks in Wisconsin, in the winter, and never had a problem, even .410 shells. never used green dot though. Usually the problem with cold shells comes from the wad shrinking in the hull creating a poor seal for the powder.

Tim

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Never experienced any problems with all my reloads or factory shells that are 30+ years old.

Wishing they would outlaw steel, I'd have some nice loads for Geese!!

7. creek

creek Member

My response is not related to cold storage, but after hurricane Irene last year, I had 14 cases of reloads 40" below salt water for several hours before the water receeded. The cardboard boxes fell apart and I put the shells (12g, 20g, aand 28g) in buckets to dry out in the sun. Bottom line...I never had a misfire, or even a blooper!

The Noblesport primers were so corroded and rusted that you couldn't see them through the fuzzy rust. All the hulls were brass base. The Down Range wads must have done their job.

CREEK (John)

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The only problem with storing shells in my garage is that my son knows where they are and some flats come up missing now and then!

9. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

You are a good DAD !! Glenn

10. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I store my Green Dot and Red dot reloads on my unheated shed. I will keep a couple of cases in the house in the winter and then I take them to the range and keep in my vehicle in an ice chest to insulate them. I have no problems, but we don't have the extreme cold here in Ca. Bill Hom

11. hera200

hera200 Member

Read great article on effect of temp. on shells a few months back. Cant remember what magazine it was in but it seemed like a TRAP and FIELD i picked up in a club in Austin, Tex. Quite an article on effect of temp on velocity. I f I remember correctly I think the stats said at just 40-50 degrees F a 3Dram load slows to the velocity of a two and three quarter dram load so judge for yourself if you really want to shoot cold loads in cold weather especially at caps. Surprised no one else mentioned effect on velocity. Surprised also to read that the recoil factor though remained the same......BUD

12. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I would guess 99% of all ammunition is transported from Manufacturuer to final destination in unheated trucks, boats, container ships, etc.

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Just use Cheddite primers and #7 1/2 shot and you'll have no problems at all.

;-)

14. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

insulate your garage walls and keep them off the floor a couple feet or put them in cabinets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

storing powder in unheated garage