1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing powder/primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

What quantities of primers and powders do you feel safe storing at home. How do you store them?????? Just curious on everyones thoughts on this.

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

mikkeeh:

I don't mean to sound harsh but opinions on this subject are absolutely irrelevant.

SAAMI has guidelines about proper procedures and limits for storing various quantities of propellants. State and local codes may also apply.

I don't know about primers but I suggest you investigate applicable code (and your homeowners insurance) for both items if you have questions or concerns.

sissy

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

sissy:

I believe all opinions are relevant........even yours :)

Seriously: I'm aware there are applicable codes and IFSTA regs. Maybe I should have made my post more clear. "At home" doesn't necessarily mean "in your dwelling". I know some guys have built small storage buildings/ ie bunkers, if you will.......outside storage sheds etc.

Thats the info I was looking for.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I keep powder, primers, and wads in a cool dry space that isn't in direct sunlight. I have my gunroom in the basement and it only has one small window. I don't keep a lot of combustables on hand, but generally try to have a sleeve of primers and no more than 16lbs of powder on hand.

The reason for keeping the wads away from direct sunlight and heat is so they don't get brittle.

ss

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

keep mine in a shed,one case of primers in desk drawer,2 kegs of green dot under desk.never had any problems

Doug H.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I built a metaL building 22 by 24 ft and fully insulated it and use it as my reloading shop. I have approximately 70 lbs of powder and 20 thousand primers in the building. I have told the local police that I have the powder in there in case of a fire. It is separated about twenty feet from my house which is brick. I really don't worry about it as there are no open flames in there. Jackie B.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I can't say what is right and what is wrong. In this state all Gun Powder is regulated by a state issued permit. It has maximum limits on powder that can be stored.

If you wish more you will need to follow the regulation the local Fire Chief/Fire Marshal put on your request. They do inspect the storage area on amounts over the standard issued permit. They must conform to regs. that the authorities give you to for increased storage over the standard amount.

So in some cases it isn't just how you do it. It is also about what the state laws say you can legally have.

Bob Lawless

8. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I think the key is to keep them cool & dry. Always keep mine in the cellar with de-humidifier running (in summer months). Humdity stays around 50% of lower & have never had a problem. I don't know how many primers or how much powder I have as it varies, but it's not uncommone to have 10-15K pimers or over 20lbs. of powder at a given time. I am sure this is a small amount compared to many folks here. Local fire chief knows about all this as I load his '06 shells for him! Any fireman will realize that the fire/explosion danger is much more likely in your garage where you keep the 5 gal. can of gas for lawn mower, the spare 20lb. tank of propane for gas grill, etc. Common sense says keep any type of heat source, spark or flame away from primers and/or powder & the chances of anything bad happening are very, very minimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.