1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing new O/U gun & snap caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I just bought a 12 G Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays O/U shotgun from someone at our club. Took it home and started to play with it.

Had some question on storing and the snap caps that came with it (I'd call the guy I bought it from but it's kind of late here):

1. Should I always take the gun apart when storing it?
    2. Do I need to dry-fire it before disassembling the gun?
    3. If I don't disaseemble it before storing do I need to dry fire it?
    4. Why does dry firing it on an empty chamber without a snap cap damage the firing pin?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You don't need to break the gun down but you should clean and lube it before storing it. Dry firing the gun to release the tension on the hammer springs is always a good idea. The snap caps give the firing pins some cushion to push against when you dry fire the gun and it can prevent damage to the pins and the backside of the breech. It may not be necessary to use snap caps but it can't hurt.

Eric

3. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

If you decide to use empty hulls as snap caps, cut them in half so there is little chance of confusion/mix up with a live shell; just to be safe.

Also, you can punch out the primer and fill the hole with silicone caulk. Use a little extra on the outside and when dry, use a utility knife to remove the extra caulk leaving about 1/16" protruding from the metal surface. Cheap snap caps that work!

4. Jag one

Jag one Member

Bic eraser mate erasers cut in half and pressed into the primer pocket work great and last forever. Bruce

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The relative benefit of using snap caps is debatable. Spring wear is due to two factors. Number of cycles, and taking a "set" when in the tensed position.

If you have a gun that is seldom used, releasing spring tension might prolong the hammer spring life.

But if you have a gun that is used often, such as your trap gun, it is likely that cycles, and not taking a "set" will be the reason your hammer springs wear out.

Replace the hammer springs on your trap guns regularly, whether you use a snap cap or not.

Car springs eventually wear out, but do they wear out from driving and the car bouncing, or do they wear out from sitting in your driveway with the weight of the car sitting on them? And if the latter, would they last longer if you jacked up your car off the wheels every time you parked it? Maybe....hmmm...

BOTTOM LINE, if you use snap caps, make darned sure its a snap cap you're using and not a live shell. Don't laugh, it has happened.