1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing in hardcase

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Does anybody here have experience or opinion about long term storing the shotgun in it's hardcase? I'm think here about keeping a Beretta O/U broke down and inside those flannel "socks" provided and in the closed Beretta plastic hardcase, but I'm afraid it might be inviting rust?

John C. Saubak

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's what they're for! If you have a gunsafe, get one of those little heaters to keep out any moisture,cost about 25 bucks. I use one with no problems whatsoever. Joe O.

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I have only had one shotgun and one rifle rust in a closed case. That was the only two times I left a firearm in a closed case for more than 48 hours. You would think I'd learn the first time.

As all pilots know, any closed vessel will make water. We always drain the bottom part of the tank as part of preflight to check for water accumulation. This is also the principle behind solar stills. Leave them guns in cases if you like (hard or soft) but allow the cases to breathe.

You can learn the lesson by hearing about it or, like most of us, by experiencing it for yourself. It where the expression, "valuable lesson" comes from.

Good luck, either way you go.

HBT

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've got a KX5 stored in its Americase. I use those "Inhibitor" rust preventative strips, but otherwise make sure the gun is clean and has a light amount of oil on it. Done this for more than a year - no issues, bore is perfect.

FYI, the case is stored in a low humidity, cooler environment.

Jay

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've had a perazzi combo set in an americase for 3 years next week. In the truck, in the safe, in the basement, no issues.

Of course, I shoot at least twice a week. It gets a thorough wiping down with RemOil before it's stored, and all the fingerprints wiped off.

nothing to report on the corrosion front....

6. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

I prety much keep my trap gun in a hard case but I use the gun socks without fail, but I also live in Colorado so the humidity is not much of an issue. I do not think I would practice these same methods if I lived some where with high humidity. Jim Henry

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I, too, keep my DB-81 in a hard case. (Colorado Custom Case) I do, however store it with the top propped open with a small piece of 1/2" dowel to allow the case to breath. I do not use gun socks, etc. I just wipe the gun down with Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish after each use, and slide it under the bed, and forget about it until the next shoot. Been doing it for 10 years or more with absolutely no harm to the gun..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I keep mine in the Perazzi plastic case in a heated enviroment with the case closed and have never seen any rust. When I lived in Florida I shot on a Saturday and put my stainless Ljutic in a soft case in the garage without wiping it down and it rusted overnight; my hot , sweaty hands left too much salt on the gun. I have got so that I clean my guns with brown jersey cotton gloves to make sure I do not leave any finger prints on the gun. It seems that Brownings will rust easier than any of my other guns.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.