1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I am keeping them so don't ask. I have a ton of AA and gun Club hulls. I have de-primed and washed the AA hulls (Don't say it, I had time and needed something to do). I have them in cloth laundry bags with draw string tops. They are in the way and I am thinking about moving them to my shop away from the house. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter but dry, and hanging them from the rafters.

How and how long can you store plastic hulls?? I can see this being a several year deal.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Not like wine, but they'll keep. I could be a schmuck and ask what you charge for laundering hulls - (light starch?). LOL

I have 1000s of Remington RTL (Premier) and Original AAs Hulls I've kept in bankers boxes, plus 1000s of newer STS... as long as they're not directly exposed to the elements, using real brass - they last and last and last...

Jay

3. Jim Porter

Spitter

I have a cement mixer from Harbor Freight that was not being used. I mix a little 409, Oxy Clean, Purple Majik and Downy fabrick softner and tumble them for at least an hour. You would not believe how much "stuff" comes off them and how much better they load. They look cool to, the AA logo comes off.
    I wouldn't charge much, maybe a cold beer or two, if you would come to Mississippi----AND---Of course---NO TICKIE NO WASHIE!!

4. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I have been washing hulls for years. It is easy and free. I like clean guns and shells. Others don't. But if you do not know how to use the Maytag...do not try. Some common sense is required.

I have shot new plastic shells 20 years old without any problem. They were not exposed to moisture or high temperatures. Stored in original boxes. Indoors.

That is all I know.

5. Jim Porter

So, according to you guys, put them anywhere they will be dry and don't worry about the heat fluctuations. ( I suspect it will get to around 120deg in my shop in the summer)

Thanks Guys!!

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Jim ,

The "real culprit" isn't the heat but the UV that is in the sunlight . Keep them "high and dry" in the shade and you'll be good to go for years 'n years .

Charlie ,
    Used to work for CIBA-Geigy who made UV stabilizers - - - Now it may be BASF

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used hulls that were stored 5-10 years in my attic. Many accumulated a dark area on the down side of the brass head. I suspect this was a form of oxidation caused by something leaking out of the spent primer. These hulls reloaded and shot fine.

Jim- your storage system should keep the hulls in good shape for around 30 years. Perhaps longer since you deprimed them. I personally would have to examine hulls carefully that were stored in an attic for over 60 years. Both old hulls and old people can become brittle.

Pat Ireland

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I like to leave hulls in the shed in an open container for about a week, then sort them. I may have a fan on them to make sure they are dry. If raining or wet grass, I do not pick them up.

I will bring a target box of hulls in the house, and let them sit inside for a day or so, then load them. If in cold weather, I will set them in front of a fan overnight.

Constant inspection is the key. I have hulls older than some SCTP shooters, and they work well.

I prefer Federal Gold Medal and European Riefenhauser type hulls for my shooting. They seem to kick less, and are compatible with the wads I prefer. The Claybuster 12SO clone is my mainstay for 24 gram and one ounce loads.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I pick them up wet or dry and set them aside for a few weeks and then sort and store them in wad bags. No probs in 20 years.

10. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I have several thousand Gun Clubs stored in big plastic buckets (about 10 gal) that have screw on tops. I am currently loading and shooting several thousand of the old style Federal Gold Medal hulls that had been kept in open boxes indoors, in an unheated and unairconditioned space. All of them are more than 20 years old. I haven't had any problems with any of them.

11. frank t

frank t TS Member

I have a couple of plastic garbage cans in my basement. One for AA's and one for Remingtons. Works fine for me.

Frank T

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I have over 50 thousand hulls of all kinds stored in my barn. My only concern is I won't live long enough to use them all. I'm the original hull whore and can't refrain from saving them. BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.