1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coho, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

i’m afraid I’m going to ruin my guns because they are stored on my unheated back porch. It’s the only place my gun safe fits in my house. I have a golden rod in side it but the outside temp varies between -20 in the winter and 110 in the summer. is the temperature extremes going to affect them?

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

not as much as humidity will.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As tripod said, it is all about hunidity. If you live in a humid cliamte, you will have a problem, Keep them coated with RIG

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you will be okay, a decent fire rated safe is fairly well insulated and the temperature inside doesn't swing that radically. If you open the safe up with a bunch of cold steel in it, moisture in the outside air might condense on your guns and cause rust so that is one thing to watch for. The golden rod is a good idea and will probably prevent most condensation problems. I use to keep my safe in an unheated garage and never had any problems but then again I live in a dry climate, especially dry in the cold months. Keep an eye on it and if you do see a problem with moisture condensing on your guns when you open the door (it happens in a matter of seconds if it is going to happen) then you might want to install a small heater inside the safe. A thin film of WD40 is an excellent way to protect gun metal surfaces and that should be part of your routine when you return a gun to the safe after inspection or use.

5. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

Amsoil MP (metal protector) works very well for storage and lubricating auto shotguns (1100's)

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Look for a Dri-Z-Air unit at hardware/general stores. This is a plastic bowl with a basket full of pellets above that attracts all the moisture in the air within your chosen space. It will likely need to be emptied occasionally and re-stocked with the pellets. It's a cheap item and will sit in the bottom of your safe. This and a goldenrod are used in my safe in a garage in a moist area and my various open and cased guns remain untouched by any moisture problems. I believe you can find it on the internet also but should be readily available in handyman/hardware stores.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

The name of the moisture absorbant DIXIE SPECIAL 25 is refering to is Decicant.
    It come in bags and does will at absorbing moisture along with your golden rod.

Skip Dillin

8. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

The name is Desicant, that's what I get for typing without my bifocals.

Skip Dillin

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bob Dodds right,I do the same and havent had any problems...

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The above link has a large selection of rust proof/remover/protector ect ect

I like the recharge type silica pacs, Also the VCIs are great to have.

They also have the gun socks with VCI/silca I use these on the rifles I just dont use.....ruger M77 3006 Glenfield model 25 .22 The 22 was in the sock for more than 8 years. looks as good the day it got moved to the back of the safe. Also a humidity gauge inside and out side the safe will give you a good idea of what is going on. I had a rust problem in the past. So now Im very protective. I have a rag that dedicated to the safe. I move any gun ny first grabbing with the rag. Which is pretty well coated in rem oil. Just enough not to be messy. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85258

this is a link to the socks. Allthough I have not seen in a long time eezox was king for a long time.

11. coho

coho Member

thanks guys, i bought a dry z air deal today and a temp/humidity thing to go into the safe.i've noticed some rust on some of the guns so i'm going to take them out and oil them again. what about putting a light inside? i was thinking about using a 40 wat bulb. that should keep everything warm.

12. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

Maybe a second golden rod for the winter would also help.

13. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

I would also place an open box of cat litter in the safe. It will help dry the air, is cheap, and can be replaced frequently. After you rotate it out of the safe it can still be used to soak up oil spills etc. Or if you actualy have a cat it will still work for that.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just a friendly heads-up that WD40 isn't the best choice for long-term rust prevention, especially on rust-blued steel. I've tested several products at work using a salt-fog chamber (per ASTM B-117, except over longer periods) and WD40 does not perform as well as most of the dedicated gun protectants. Birchwood Casey's Shield (Barricade), CorrosionX, Clenzoil, and RemOil all last longer and prevent rust better than WD40. Boesheild T9 worked very well as a rust preventive too, but it was formulated for airplane parts, not guns, so I'm not sure how it affects bluing or wood finishes. WD40 was designed to penetrate small crevices, displace water instantly, and lubricate -- which it does quite well -- but it was not designed to leave the durable film required to protect blued steel over time. I haven't yet done enough side-by-side controlled testing to definitively determine what product is best, but it's definitely not WD40. the product has its loyalists, and I use it myself for many things, but I would not rely on it to protect my valuable firearms.
    -Gary

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my father describes wd40 as cannola oil and carnuba wax. He said 3in1 oil would be alot better than wd40. I like to use wd40 one my gun in hummid/damp days. I know I will give it a good cleaning and proper lube when home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.