1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

storing gun powder in your basement?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have been reloading in my basement for at least 20 years and this evening a friend of my wife happened to mention that is a big no no and if your house catches fire and that explodes it will nullify your claim with the insurance. I remember a thread covering that subject but have no idea where to see the regs on that. I load shot shells and rifle in my basement. I have no idea where else I would do it. Help please! It would appear from a number of the pics here and on other sites that many of us reload in the basement or garage.My garagge is my basement!! TY

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are using smokeless powder it does not explode, it only burns. HMB

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

striper, make sure you keep the powder in the plastic containers that you bought the powder in. The factory containers are designed to store powder in. They will not allow the pressure to build, and as said above will only burn. Relax, all is well. Break-em all. Jeff

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Which insurance company does "a friend of my wife" work for?

I hear these kinds of opinions all the time. Mostly unsubstantiated.

HM

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've recently moved ammo to the garage but my powder is in the house

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Black powder can pose a potential explosion but smokeless powder will only burn rather hot. Storing gasoline presents a greater risk than shotgun powder. Big Don can give us accurate information on how insurance companies view powder storage in our homes.

At a motel once, I had several flats of empty ammo boxes stored in my room. The motel was inspected by a local Fire Marshall and he required that I remove the "ammo" from my room. After a brief explanation and inspection of empty Winchester boxes, he relented.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.