1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing gun between practices

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shoot twice a week, after each session I usually wipe the gun down with light oil, run a bore snake down the barrel, loosen and re-tighten the choke tubes, dry fire it and place it in the safe. I usually don't leave it in it's Americase, ( that's placed on a self with the top open to dry it out ). I'm a believer that dry firing it twice a week does no damage.

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Right now I'm shooting a 1960 Browning Broadway that probably has the original triggers (not counting the release trigger), so I've invested in some nice snap caps and snap the triggers after every session.

LA

3. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have heard people say that if you leave a gun in a closed case it will rust. I've never tried it but I don't like to take chances.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

NSXER, Most breakopen guns have a mechanism that permits you to release the opening lever back to the center position with the gun not assembled. Once you do that, you should be able to hold a nickel, an empty hull head, or a chunk of heavy rubber against the firing pin hole and pull (or release) the trigger and permitting the hammer to fall. With an O/U, you'd do the same thing and release each hammer spring in order based on your selection of which barrel first or second. There are guns that will permit you to hold the opening lever to the fully open position, pull the trigger, then ease the opening lever back to the center position and this will relax your hammer spring. I don't own a Citori but I seem to remember there being a bar in the base of the receiver opening, in front of the breech face, that can be pressed and releases the opening lever to fall back to center and arming the hammers as described above.

For other remarks, when I finish with my guns, they are stored in cases and the cases go into a safe in my garage in a rather high humidity area of Orygun. I do have a "hot rod" in the safe and a "Dri-Z-Air" moisture collection device to combat moisture. So far, no problems with this method during the last 18 years....Bob Dodd

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

I have used the small (~ 4 inch) dessicant packs for several years with sealed gun cases. They work. I see them here and there - try Brownells if you can't find them. You put them in the oven to dry them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.