1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stores that Bait You In.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I'm just wondering if others have the same problem I do with Sears. Every time I go there to get something that they have in their sale adds in the paper they don't have but the display on the floor, just a few on the shell or none at all in the store. I went in to get some oil that was on sale with a 2 case limit. They didn't even have a case in the store. I went in the store years ago to buy a tool box that was on sale but they did not have but a display box on the floor that they said they would not sell. Anyone else have any problems with Sears?

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Its called "Bait and Switch".........an old,old game....played in all walks of life!

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

That's why I don't shop at Dick's.

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Dunhams...Just once I would like to find the "sale" item on the shelf.

They don't even try to sell you anything else. They tell you that the ad was national and that there store didn't get any of the items listed as "On Sale". Guess they figure you will look around and buy something, anything, in another dept.

The last time they ran a sale on Wolf .223 ammo it was $4.00 a box. Nice price. All the local store had was 4000 rounds. BIG DEAL. I told the kid I wanted it all. The first 2000, he rang each box. The friggin register tape was three feet long. We had to get the "manager"( five years older) to ring the other 2000 at the case price. DUH, 50x$4.00 =???

AJ100

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Keep in mind that the sales brochures are not locale specific. They are printed for the entire chain and individual stores may not have the stock on hand to support the sale. Nationwide chains (except Wal-Mart) rarely check each and every store for sufficient stock before launching a special. They depend on the distribution net to keep up with demand, but that doesn't always work like it should.

Morgan

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Sammie, yes I did. The so called manager of the dept looked at me and said "We do not give out rain checks. What we have on the shelf is it". I said "this is the first store that I have been in that did not give out rain checks and run a sale without the product being on the shelf". He just did not care one way or the other. I even asked for the STORE MANAGER and was told he was not available. I felt what they were telling me was to GET LOST. If the case was that the flyer was a nation wide flyer they should have rules that would cover the stores that lets say does not carry that much of that item. A rain check would be in order.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sears blows dead donkeys anymore.

8. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Montgomery Wards used to be famous for this. I still have a rain check for a pair of shoes that they NEVER had. Best Buy is my current favorite now. I've just about given up on them.

Shawn

9. porky

porky TS Member

We used to have that problem in NY. In about 1987 or so , NY passed a law that said in effect, If you have a raincheck from a store that hasn't been filled in a reasonable amount of time (say a month), you can sue and recieve $50.00 per item. So, if you had a raincheck for 20 boxes of shells at a sale price of $3.00 each and the store wouldn't fulfill the raincheck, you could go to small claims court and recieve $1000.00 for the goods. The law really worked. I often would talk to the department manager and advise of the law. I believe they knew about it. I would ask them if they would be willing to substitute something else in exchange and I would suggest what I would like instead. I have never had to go to court since then and we, in NY, don't have a problem with stores putting things on sale and not having any stock. At least to my knowledge.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try Sports Authority, they say it's too confusing to give rain checks. HMB

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any car dealership. See their ad? Might be one car or truck at that price, maybe.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I walked into Sears back in July to purchase a washer/dryer. They had the dryer I wanted but the lower priced washer was out of stock and wouldn't be in for a week or so - without even asking, they offered the next higher model at the same price - couple of features I still don't use, but...

Sears has changed, an uncle used be Pres/Hardware division, not the same Sears anymore. But I'm still a loyal Sears hard lines customer - service and parts impossible to beat.

About the bait/switch - Macys, never enough stock and they always hit you with "limited quanitties", no rainchecks.

Jay

13. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I've have never in my life shopped at sears,nor bought anything there.
    Years...........Ago.When i was first starting out in the world of "credit/plastic".I had a decent job,but no credit established whatsoever.
    I figured,how do i establish credit.
    I thought,sears should be a good place to establish credit.
    I filled out for a sears card and was denied,simply because i had no credit rating,not bad credit,just no credit.
    After that,i vowed i would never shop there for the rest of my life,
    and i've kept good to that.

14. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

It is actually a Federal Trade Commission rule that the store have "adequate stock".

Good luck getting them to do anything about it.

The local Bass Pro Shop (Atlanta) is notorious for this. Many, many, many reports of buyers being there when the door opened for advertised sales, and they are "out of stock". I've actually had the sales clerks tell me when I asked when more would be in, "Good luck on more coming in during the sale period", or "the day after the sale ends". They will issue the a rain check, but the "new product" will be a different color, or some such, so it's not the "same item".

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    shot410ga, quote: "Any car dealership. See their ad? Might be one car or truck at that price, maybe."

No, they'll have at least one at that advertised price. Tae a real close look at the print ad, or listen real close to the speeded up disclaimer at the end of the tv or radio ad. It will list the vin number of the vehicle or vehicles the ad applies to. If you can get there in time, and if the vehicle meets your requirements, you can get a pretty good deal. But most people show up well after the "come on" cars are gone, and the salesmen then try to work their magic on these potential customers.

A crafty car buyer will, however, clip and save these ads, and take them in at the end of the month, when the car dealer is feeling the pinch. Especially during factory sales. Often a dealer will get a factory rebate per each vehicle if they can sell a certain amount, maybe 50 to 100 cars, in 30 or 60 days. When they get down to the last few days, and still need to move a half dozen cars, or the last two days and need to move three cars, they're willing to make a smokin' deal because breaking even or even going slightly in the red on one vehicle is more than offset by protecting the rebates on all the others. To play this game, save the ads for the come on vehicles to get an idea of how low they'll go, then go in towards the end of the month. But be firm and DO NOT BUY if you can't make the deal. And be patient, because you need to time it for these factory sales.

16. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Sears is a joke, the only thing they are good for anymore is to replace a craftsman tool. Sometimes they don't even have that(like 30' tapes).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.