1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Store bought shells versus Reloading????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JM_KC, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM_KC

JM_KC TS Member

Gents, I am becoming reacquainted with the sport and I may post on here from time to time seeking info. I grew up in with a father and an uncle who shot trap frequently (Edwardsville Gun Club, eastside of St Louis in Illinois). I spent A LOT of time reloading shells and not a lot of time shooting...but some. I guess you could call it my work-study program. Anyway, I am getting back into the sport now. Spending money like a drunken sailor too!! I really don't have the time to reload nor do I really want to make my 15 year old do it for me. Here are my questions: 1) Does the quality of a reload excedd that which you can buy? 2) If I am going to buy my shells, what is the best brand for trap? Thanks for your repsonses!

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

First answer - No.

Second answer, hard to beat the STS Remington or the Nitro 27. But you really don't have to have the best ammo to become a good shot, you have to have a lot of ammo and use it regularly. Estate brand shells are hard to beat for the money as are Federal Top Guns. You can't really justify reloading when this ammo is available at around $50/flat.

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

This certainly has been a topic of much discussion here. Reloading, for most as I read the comments, is about picking a particular load that suits your style and gun more than about quality control or cost. The cost of reloads has gone up so much in the past few years that you can probably buy for the same cost. Federal Gold Medals, A.A.s, STS and many other top shelf loads are used for competition, but Estate, Rio, Gun Club and others are good for practice...cost wise.

Reloading, for me, is more of a hobby and down time fun. I have about $1000.00 in my reloading equipment...it takes a long time to get that back, cost wise, particularly for practice stuff.

Good shootin,

JON

4. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I will disagree with wolfram. Every gun out there shoots different by reloading you can make a load that works for your gun and your style of shooting. Reloading is not for someone that does not take the time to use it to help them.

Corey

5. claykiller

claykiller Member

JM:

You just opened up a can of worms and likely could get many responses. None the less here's me $.02. With the amount of reloading supplies on the market today the quality of the reload can easily exceed the quality of that which you can buy. Considering the situation you described, buying shells appears to be your best option and not a bad one either. As far as which one to buy depends on how much money you want to spend and how much you're going to shoot. To get buy on the cheap side most folks opt for the Walmart 4 packs of either Winchester Universal's or Federal Universal's. The next step would be the Estates or Remington Gun Clubs which are actually a very good shell and many folks use them at registered shoots. The club I belong to sells the Gun Clubs for $62.00 a flat (10 boxes) which is a hell of a deal. Top of the heap and most expensive are the Federal Gold Medal, Winchester AA, Remington STS, and Remington Nitros. The most popular of the premium ammo are the Remington STS and Nitros. they are also the most sought after hulls for reloading. Hope this helps.

6. claykiller

claykiller Member

Hey Wolfram:

Would love to know where you can get Federal Top Guns for $50.00 a flat.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My opinion? DO NOT get into reloading just to save money. Unless you enjoy it as an extension of your shooting hobby, its not worth any money you might save.

8. Franktri

Franktri Member

I reload: 1. Because I enjoy it and 2. Because it is somewhat cheaper BUT when there are sales, they are hard to overlook. I usually look for Gun Club and/or STS on sale with rebates and then use the hulls to reload.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you buy premium ammo, right now I'd suggest the Remington STS/Nitro shells, you can usually sell the hulls for enough to mitigate a great deal of your expenses. It's common to see those hulls being sold here and at shoots for as much as $.05 apiece; $1.25 per box of 25. However, the significant value to reloading is the ability to "cook up" custom shells that are particularly suitable to your wants; velocities, payload, shot size, and results with your other equipment. Another however is that you really should see the reloading chore as a desirable part or in addition to your whole shooting experience. If you do it just to save money or "cuz everyone else does" it's likely you'll find it's an undesirable chore with gear, powders, primers, and so forth clogging up your space.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

10. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

You can get a lot of satisfaction from shooting with your own ammo. Once you are set up with the equipment, it's part of the whole hobby. I find it relaxing to disappear into the man cave and run some shells for the next outing. Nice having not having to go out chasing cases of ammo and storing 50 cases somewhere, and having to lay out a bunch of $$$ all at once. I find it enjoyable.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

As Bob Dodd says; you can sell STS once fired hulls for $.05 per hull. ($1.25/box). I can buy a flat of STS from my supplier, (Recob's Target Shop), for $75 per flat. ($7.50/box). Remington offers a $2.00/box rebate until December 31st. Taking all this into consideration, this equates to $4.25/box for new STS shells! i.e. $7.50/box -$2.00/box (rebate) - $1.25 box (sale of hulls) = $4.25. That is one fantastic price on new premium shells. Even if one keeps the hulls for future reloading, the cost is still only $5.50 per box. I am an avid reloader, but if you have an outlet for these once fired hulls; it hardly pays to reload. Unless of course you have that "secret recipe" that cannot be duplicated at the factory! :) I should include that this rebate is only good for 50 boxes of shells. ($100 per household) However nothing says you can't get your relatives or friends to take advantage of this deal for you. Good Luck. Ed

12. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I shoot a lot so it pays to reload. My cost per box right now is 4.10 a box. In my area the cheapest shells are Walmart 100 packs at about 6.00 a box including tax. STS and AA's are pushing 8.00 a box.
    I consider my reloads to be the equal of the premium shells. During the summer I might shoot 20 to 30 box's a week so the savings really add up.

John

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can build (reload) a premium shell for less than you can buy the cheap stuff. If you make your own shot, as I do. You can build a premium shell very inexpensively. It's all in how much effort you put into the process, how much time you can devote to it, and how much you enjoy the work. Because, it is work... I'm retired, have lots of time, so I enjoy the the activity. Besides, it's better than playing Golf.

14. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I figure, that using reclaimed shot, free hulls, cheap powder, that I'm paying $3 per box for 1 oz. reloads. That does not count my time loading or out buying components, the cost of the equipment, mistakes in the trash, etc. Good factory loads at $5/box look pretty good sometimes, but I'm committed now (or should be...).
    dju

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My answer to question 1 is that SOME reloaded shells are better than SOME factory shells. I shot a flat of Wold shells which only chipped and cracked targets. I followed with my reloads of quality componenets in premium hulls and went right back to smoking targets. Also, I don't have to re-size premium hulls for my Kolar (or field guin) by steel-based hulls won't eject unless resized.

The performance questions are complex and include pattern, shot speed and shot-to-shot consistancy, shot stringing etc.. They would probably be affected, likely in a negative way, as the hulls are loaded repeatedly. Is the degradation in performance, if any, even measurable or even discernable?

More questions than answers. However, I have found no real difference in actual performance between my reloads and premium factory shells.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Last I knew, Blacksheep had Top guns for $50

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

This thread has lots of potential.

I reload because I have a particular load that performs very well in my barrel. But, if I could afford to just shoot new Federal papers I would do so. Reloading is a hobby for me, but I do like this one particular load. Problem is, the load I like uses PB powder and it is expensive to reload. Because of the expense, I go back and forth to see if reloading this particular load is worth while. When I see how the target breaks, I usually feel it is worth it.
    Steve Balistreri

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sure, anybody can make a better shell than the factory on their $300/$1000 reloaders, thats the same reason the factory don't use that equipment to make the new ones they sell, their loaders are much more costly ... If there was any advantage to the reloaders people have in their homes thats what the factory would be useing, trust me on that one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Keep an eye out for my new book coming out soon, "Reality" its a wonderful thing ...

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

My ranking of overall shell quality is: 1. Premium factory shells 2. My reloads 3. Discount factory shells. This ranking is based on only my unsupported opinion and could have absolutely no validity.

Pat Ireland

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My gold standard for factory shells is STS. My 1oz and 1 1/8oz handloads using premium components equal them at a lower cost. My handloads cost about the same as the cheapest discount shells, but are much more consistent. I will continue to reload, but I do keep a few flats of STS Light target around in case I run out of reloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading vs store bought shells