1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by highway, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highway

highway Member

Here is a storage question for those who might have similar problems to myself.

There is only so much room in my safe, and I hate the risk of bumps and bruises even though I am as careful as possible.

If a gun is properly put down with corrosion preventatives, can they be stored in the plastic cases with foam liners made by Plano and other similar companies. Is there an ultimate reaction to the foam and or plastic. If this would work, it would solve some storage problems for me and the guns I rarely shoot, but cannot bear to part with.

Thanks,

Roger

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If I were going to do that I'd cover all metal with a generous coating of Break Free Collector and then put the gun in a siliconed gun sock. Store someplace that's temp/humidity controlled and check on the guns every six months.

Click the link for why I specify Break Free Collector. You can use RIG, but it's a mess to clean off and check/use the gun.

-Gary

3. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Gary beat me to it.....gun socks. All of my long guns have been stored in them for many years and I haven't had any dings or damage to anything. I run a Goldenrod and periodically wipe em' down with Rem-Oil - Zero rust issues.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The siliconed gun slips work well but you still should lube them well before storing them in the slips. Then you can darn near forget them if they're put in a dry place.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ditto on the silicone gun socks. I have a WWII Colt 1911 that has been stored in a silicone gun sock for over 10 years in my regular safe where there is no climate control like my gun safe. I pull it out every couple of months or so and wipe it down inside and out with Barricade gun protector and put it back in the sock. Gun looks great.
    [​IMG]

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've had good luck with wrapping the metal in Cut-rite waxed paper once I've oiled (gun oil) the metal prior to storage. It's good for 1 year. If I'm placing the gun in a soft case I leave the zipper partially open. With a hard case I still wrap the metal surfaces with the waxed paper so the metal does not directly come in contact with the metal. I've never used a silicon sock but have used a pair of old panty hose (my wife's) for my Rem. 22 auto.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I also use gun socks. It's amazing how many guns you can get into a 14 gun safe. Think firewood. :) Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.