1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage of shotgun shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrd, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrd

mrd Member

Does storing new shotgun shells in a garage where the temperture ranges from 40 to 85 effect their performance?

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I doubt seriously that you will ever be able to tell any diff in performance when you keep shells in that temp range. excessive heat or extreme cold might possibly have some effect but new shells should not show anything. some primers used in reloads with certain powder configurations have been known to have problems with extreme cold, but have never heard of new shells having such problems

Bob

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

still shooting a few AA's from the 70's and some RXP's, that were stored in a barn since they were bought, and no electricity in it, so you can imagine the temp. variance there. No problem.......shot a couple of boxes of bob whites over thanksgiving, stored in same place and no problems there either, and they are a paper shell.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Keep them dry and everything is is good.

ss

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Missed Some, PM coming your way

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Keep them warm (above 50 degrees) in the winter or you will get bloopers.

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

I have heard that before .410 But have never experienced that. We hunt when it damn cold and the shells basically stay in the truck all year and have never had a problem. my fingers get cold though

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shot410ga.: No you won't, that's old hat. Super cold weather has the affect of shooting with about 1/2 grain less powder just as very hot weather has the opposite affect.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I doubt the warehouses, delivery trucks or suppliers storage areas are heated. I've had shells in the garage over the winter (-15 below) and still work fine for winter derbys and shoots the next year.

10. neofight

neofight TS Member

What about humidity and it's effect on performance? I live near the coast, lots of rain and fog. I keep my reloads up high and dry, but no dehumidifier in use or heat. It gets down to about 40 degrees in winter. Thanks

11. ED'S GUN NUT HUT

ED'S GUN NUT HUT TS Member

Had some reloads with WW473AA and some with Red Dot stored in unheated garage for 19 years when our local trap range closed and I didn't shoot trap and all fired right, had to scrape some corrosion from the brass with fingernail on most of them. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.