1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stopping gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xtj, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtj

xtj Guest

I am having trouble pulling up to the bird and stopping the gun even when i am telling myself do not stop the gun I will still do it 2 to 5 times during a round. If anyone has had this problem and was able to correct it. I would appreciate any advice that would help me.

Regards xtj

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

hold a higher gun, maybe

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Practice following the target all the way to the ground. Then when you shoot follow the broken bird.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Like Straight99 said, keep the gun mounted and follow through after the shot.

Robert

5. pullhit

pullhit TS Member

One 'trick' that may help is to force oneself to remain focused on the bird after the shot. Many times I find myself looking away the instant I pull the trigger. I suppose my mind has determined the shot has been 'accomplised' and I look away causing me also to stop my swing. The gun will 'follow the eyes' as we are so often taught but just as often forget to practice.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

You CANNOT tell yourself NOT to do something. That puts the action at the very front of your thought process and almost guarantees you will do what you don't want. Instead think and focus on what you WILL do. (head down , follow through) Short mantras repeated every time as part of the set up just before I call for the bird seem to work best for me. Because I have a nasty habit of lifting my head and or bead checking mine is "head down, focus on the bird"

--- Chip King ---

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was taught that stopping the gun was usually the result of lifting your head. I was told to follow a piece of the broken bird with the gun after the shot to insure you stay mounted on the gun. While i do not know how much of this is actually true, it did help me.

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Stopping the gun is a result of looking at the beads, i.e., bead checking.

Blacken both of your beads with a Sharpie.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

just keep working on it. It will happen by itself.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Could be a flinch, or a case of target fright. More than likely a concentration issue. Grip the forend a little tighter and concentrate on the target like it just kicked your dog, and you want revenge. Extreme concentration usually cures all problems.

11. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

99.999999% of all the problems we encounter while shooting clay targets are visual! If you look at the target clear through the shot then you will have no problem keeping the gun moving. It will be a subconscious effort. Next time you stop the gun or miss the target ask yourself what you remember seeing when the gun went off. I'll bet it wasn't the target.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Best way (practice) for me to rid myself of the stopping the gun habit is to shoot some skeet (I know, now I'll have to go wash my mouth out)...I shoot skeet doubles on stations 3, 4 & 5 until I am consistantly smoking the targets. I use my trap doubles gun....

Keep your eyes open and smoke 'em!!

Curt

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    You might try exaggerating your follow-through. Pass through the bird, see the space (your lead), pull the trigger, and keep the barrel moving forward. When I say exaggerate, I mean make a consious effort to keep the barrel moving. You need follow-through for good timing. If you don't spot shooting can result and can become a bad habit and missed birds. I have to remind myself sometimes a baseball hitter cant stop his swing and expect to get solid base-hits that find the gap. Or a golfer can't stop his swing and expect to drive solid shots. Same thing in this sport. As said in an earlier reply, you may be bead checking without knowing it. Good luck to you.
    -powderburn

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Stopping the gun in trap is NORMAL. All the pros STOP the gun IN THE BROKEN TARGET.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Add some weight to the barrel or forend. You might just need a little extra
    momentum.

16. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I'm with V10, the gun stops because you look back at the bead to see were it's at. If you concentrate on the target the gun will never stop.

Joe

17. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I watched you shoot the other day, you look like a lawn sprinkler sometimes

18. wlc

wlc Member

I took a clinic from Frank Hoppe a few years ago. What he said agrees with kgun shooter. You don't see much exagerated follow through at trap.

19. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree 100% with Chipking. Put a positive thought in your mind just before, "Pull!" Try, "See it break!" That helps me focus on the target and keeps my eyes open, and, for some reason...keeps the muzzle moving! Jack

20. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I had a problem with stopping the gun for years until somebody told me simply to teach myself to visually lock onto the leading edge of the target as soon as it left the house (left edge for lefts, top for straights and right edge for rights). It would point the gun where I was looking, and I'd keep the gun moving because what I was looking at was moving. Apparently I was watching the back edge of the target and stopped the gun when I pulled the trigger. Damn, talk about simple!

When I finally learned to watch the fronts, I quit stopping the gun and my need for apparent lead disappeared.

Mike Killian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.