1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping a pit bull

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A neighbor of mine has a big nasty pit bull. The dog got withing two feet of me until the leash took hold. Looks like I'm going to have to start carry my Judge. Wondering will a 410 with 000-stop a dog like this?

Phil Berkowitz

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A small piece of lead placed in his ear will keep him from going after you!

Apply with a 9mm,.38, .357, 44, or .45 ... they all seem to work!

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Yep... As in all things. Shot placement is key. Hope he stays on his leash. Jeff

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shot the gravel driveway in front of one once, it turned him around fast.

5. josepi

josepi TS Member

well I know a .38 will work. I had 2 pittbulls charging at me and closing fast and actually was on my way to work carrying my duty weapon. these dogs had killed 2 other dogs in the neighborhood and was only a matter of time...
    a .38 works and the neighbors were then looking for a new set of dogs...

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

The aluminum handle off of a come-a-long works also (it was on a job)

But I've had to do a couple in with a .22, (all I had at the time) best to shoot them in the rear base of the skull, they drop like a bag of shit

But bigger is better

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Kitty says to put down a bowl of anti-freeze and when he starts to lap it up, beat him to death with a lead pipe.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2944.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Looks like that kitty needs declawed. Can we talk about the best way to do that? lol

9. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

nope, cats have claws just as god intended, removing them would be sin!

J.F.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Anti-freeze is a slow death. Shoot the dog but don't let it suffer.

Shot it with some pepper spray. Fill a water gun up with amonya(sp) and spray the ground or the dogs feet. It will back off with that. A cattle prod will shock the hell out of the dog. Do not get caught shooting the dog. The courts will fry your backside to a well done crisp.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I live in a very upscale highrise building. My next door neighbor brought his son in to share his unit. The father is only @ home 3-4 days a week. The dog is the son's. It is against the rules for certain breeds to be on the property. This dog is a no,no!!! Mgt, has been informed. Today was real close. I keep a hand gun in my car. But until this dog is gone, I'm carrying.

Phil Bedrkowitz

12. Tron

Auctioneer, Kitty says that's why you use the lead pipe in conjunction with the anti freeze. It speeds up the process.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2798.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_2798.jpg </a>

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not a advocate of shooting dogs but it sounds like a legitimate case of self defense. I don't think much of .410 handguns but up close it will no doubt work. I would advise the dog's owner that you are prepared to deal with the threat but prefer not to. That gives him fair warning and the opportunity to deal with the problem himself.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

There has been some outrage recently in Toledo Ohio, guys shot his neighbors shepard six times with a .25 acp. Shooter says the dogs always loose and attacking his small dog.

He was arrested and the dog has recieved multipal operations to remove slugs from skull and chest.

It was a zoo at the courthouse with many animal rights people and their "dog killer". signs. The dogs owners have been flooded with treats, toys and money donations for the dogs medical bills.

15. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I had a neighbor's pitbull attack my GSP one time, I filed a complaint with the police and talked with the owners. The next time it came charging across the road full speed after either me or my bird dogs in MY yard I took him off his feet with a well placed .38 special 158gr+P hollow point to the brisket as he was comming dead on.

We had a long discussion with the police department that day and a threat of a lawsuit that never happened.

Ultimately it is not the dogs fault it is poor owners and training and a shame it has to come to this type of discussions.

Fred J

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

First shot a heavy shot load, 5's or 6's, the second a slug. Then call your attorney, you'll need his services before it's settled.

Big Jack

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Our family gathered at my sister's house this past Christmas. My nephew, my brother-in-law, my nephew-in-law, and some of their high school friends were all out in the front yard when suddenly they hear a neighbor woman screaming "help, help!" One of the my nephew's friends had just got back from Iraq that week, and he was carrying a big switchblade. As they approached the neighbor's front yard, this huge male pit bull ran toward the soldier and leaped into the air toward his throat. In one smooth motion, the kid grabbed his switch blade and gutted the dog as the dogs underbelly was in plain view and that close.

It turned out that the pit bull belonged to that lady's son, and the pit bull was attacking her cat (the guys didn't know that, though, they just went to her rescue). The dog had emergency surgery and survived. The neighbors threatened to sue the soldier, but they never did.

You are right...it's all in how the dog is trained. Most people that have put bulls should have poodles. I have many friends who have pit bulls that are absolutely wonderful dogs.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Shoot the dog but don't let it suffer." "Do not get caught shooting the dog." "The courts will fry your backside to a well done crisp."

There you go a law abiding gun owner.

Bob Lawless

19. Tron

Just try not to hurt the dog when you kill it.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a big mean dog that bothered me at the stop sign at the edge of my neighborhood. I put a few ballons full of ammonia on my bike and I threw one at him one morning. He left with no further problem. A few days later he was charging me again. I got the ballons out again, this time I happend to break it on his nose. After that, even if he was already in the street, he would run back to the house when he recognized my motorcycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pit bull stopping gun

shot-placement pit-bull