1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop Cutting off $2000.00 wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stl Flyn, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I know this may cause trouble but here I go.

Please if you feel the need for recoil reduction units on your gun, ie. Gra-coil, RAD, whatever. Before you cut off an inch of your $2000.00 stock, think about buying some fence post wood for $300.00 and cutting that off first. That way when you sell the gun you can keep yourself in the full market, by putting on the original wood, as most people do not like the contraption look on a beautiful piece of wood. Cutting the comb for adjustability is fine along with adjustable butt pad as long as you do not shorten the wood.

Let's here some opinions!

Jon

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If resale was all i cared about i'd agree. Unfortunately i'm more concerned with my shooting. My opinion.---Matt

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's my gun now and I'll modify it as I need to to fit me. There will always be someone who will want to buy it later. If not... oh, well!

MK

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

It's my stock, I'll do with it what I please.

But thank you for your concern.

5. black_wal_nut

black_wal_nut TS Member

wow, its like watching a hornet nest

6. XTerminator

XTerminator Member

Adjustable combs and recoil reducers are for WUSSIES anyway!

7. grntitan

Tell that to Big Leo. I believe he has both but he's not that good anyway. LOL

8. Stl Flyn

Black-wal-nut,

That is what I figured would happen.

Great to see different opinions on this though.

Keep them coming.

Jon

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Nothing I have is for museum display. Everything is for my use. As a young man, I worked for a trust banker who settled estates. I saw way too much really good stuff end up in the hands of dumb relatives who never appreciated the minty, unused possessions of the dead man who carefully saved them. I saw widows empty gun cabinets and just store the guns under the work bench in the basement so she could put a loveseat where the gun cabinet was. I did put my hands on a very rare collectable firearm once. I traded it to a collector for a shootable one and cash. I try to take care of all of my stuff, I even take as good of care as possible with the Mossberg I hunt with, but I do not apologise for using my stuff.

10. Stl Flyn

Thanks Leo for that perspective.

I look at guns as a piece of art. I have my first gun I ever bought (1977). It is a Remington 870 express. It is still in 96% condition. I have hunted ducks, pheasants, and grouse with it. I have oiled the gun before I go out in the rain, and I have dried the gun off and re-oiled it when I returned.

I treat every gun I own as such.

I try to keep every gun as close to original as I possibly can.

I understand the fitting part of the trap guns but not the shortening of the original beautiful piece of wood, on the high end guns.

Jon

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When ever I want to cut up or change something on a gun I will take off what ever and put it way marked with the S# of the gun. I will take the replacement part and do what ever to it. I WILL NOT BUTCHER THE FACTORY PART.

12. grntitan

Stl Flyn---If you had the back and shoulder issues i have you would understand the need to cut the wood on my gun for the Rad II i had Greg Hissem install. Sure i could've went out and bought another piece of wood to cut it but i liked what was on there. I take care of all my guns as you do but i just have a different perspective on the need to cut to fit.---Matt

13. Stl Flyn

Auctioneer, beautiful.

This is what I am looking for.

I understand you will, and can do what you want with your gun. That is absolutly fine. I probably got a little offensive with the wording of this thread.

Sorry,

Jon

14. Stl Flyn

Grntitan,

That is one perspective of the recoil reduction system I had not really thought of. Keeping people shooting, is more important than a piece of wood.
    I understand.

Thanks,

Jon

15. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

In My personal experience I would cut,butcher,mangle (combs and recoil devices does not include butchering etc.) a relatively pricey piece of wood to try for better scores but NOT $2000.00 worth of wood. On the other side of the coin I know of guys with cheap wood and will NOT touch it for "resale" value and live with 20's, 22's and 23's, short yardages,all their life with a rare 25 and complain about the winners and complain about everything else except poor gun fit why their scores ain't higher.Go figure.They try the newest powder,oldest powder,red powder,green powder,imported powder,wad,primer,hull,choke tube,triggers,barrel work,lens color,hat size,stance,mix shot sizes,buy "Shooting Shoes",they do everything but address their real problem.You know who they are. You might be one of them. LOL

16. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I've never seen $2,000 wood,

But this wood is for shooting not cutting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

If I were a shooter/collector who frequently bought, sold, and traded guns, and I did not want take a beating each time I sold or traded, then yes, I would hesitate to make any permanent modifications to my gun.

But, I am no longer interested in owning large numbers of or collecting guns.

I want to participate in trapshooting on a competitive level…that’s the beginning and end of it.

On the day when I join the ranks of those who have “Completed Careers”, it is my fervent hope that my trap gun is totally worn-out, and just about worthless. Will this mean that I didn’t leave my heirs something they will treasure, and perhaps shoot? Nope, my heirs aren’t interested in guns or shooting, and this is fine. I will leave them other things.

What this worn-out, worthless, “customized,” old trap gun will mean is the following:

1) I enjoyed a lot of intense, memorable, enjoyable, and sometimes frustrating experiences.
    2) I met a lot of interesting, kind, thoughtful, and sometimes annoying people. Some of them may even have become new friends.
    3) I challenged myself, and perhaps even learned a few things about myself, and others.
    4) I won some, and I lost some.
    5) Most importantly, maybe I helped a few others along the way, in one way or another.

These things mean more to me than a “pretty gun in the safe”, waiting to be disposed of.

…to each his/her own...

bluedsteel

18. Stl Flyn

Duck Head,

I have shot a KS-5 Special with adjustable comb and butt for 10 yrs. Same powder, primers, hulls, and wads. The butt stock wood was never cut. The comb and butt stock where never adjusted after initial set-up.

24.41 avg. at previous club - 24.17 at current club.

This is my point. Trapshooters always look at something else to gain the mental aspect of this sport. It is never themselves to blame. Confidence is paramount! People change things to gain confidence. The real thing they are gaining is concentration and follow through, without lifting there head off the stock.

Now, if the gun is kicking you and you are lifting your head because of the recoil, put the reduction system on, and get a release trigger if that helps.

All I am saying is there are other ways of doing this without cutting the buttstock off the original expensive and beautiful wood, on high end guns.

Thanks,

Jon

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I think I understand your point of view, and your entitled to it. Here is the problem, if the gun does not fit you, and it is not comfortable to shoot, or it does not shoot where you look, it's useless, suggest hang it on a wall then. My basement has saw dust up over my ankles from all the stocks I have cut in the past 40 years. Wood is wood, and I believe it should be cut to make you feel more comfortable and to make the gun shoot better.
    Steve Balistreri

20. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have a friend who took a Beretta SO3EELL with very special game scene engraving the likes of which is unreal. And he cut the stock & put a Gra-coil on it. And ported it. And knocked off about $4-5000. Is he stupid? Absolutely!!! Because he would have NEVER treated his 911 Turbo or 500 Benz like that. With his money,he should have had a stock made to fit. Recoil vs porting??? Easy. Drop down a 1/4 or even 1/2 dram equivalent. Yes,he has shopped the gun to several major dealers. Nobody will touch it. Ask why???
    It can't be sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.