1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stool/Chair shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maka, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maka

maka Member

I have a friend who uses a wooden stool to shoot from. It looks like pine and is about the height of a kitchen counter stool. He has back problems and thus the reason for it. Shoots well using it. Also appears to be easily carried from station to station. Hope this helps? Good luck.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I bought 2 ... on short and one tall. The tall one was not comfortable for shooting ... so it is at my loading bench because it works well there. The shorter one is a little above the height of my knees ... works well for me.

I waddle out to the line with the stool in one hand and shotgun and shell caddy in the other.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I started using one this year. I've got a real nice height adjustable (26"-32")swivel unit but the damn thing is too heavy to carry around all day and I haven't come up with a good way to roll it around, so last weekend I shot our Provincial Shoot (Alberta)on my 30" parts counter type stool. I'm 6'4" and 30" works for me. Classic Parts of America, LMC Truck and others have them with assorted logos. Sure takes the pressure off my back and knees. Now I just have a weee bit of a learning curve to get back to what "game" I had before.

Ron Burr

4. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

Here in Texas we have a shooter that uses a tall plastic bucket to sit on when shooting. He shoots all factions very well.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Any music store will have 3 legged stool that are adjustable and inexpensive. They are used by string instrument players. Bulge.

6. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I have one I bought at Wal-Mart 20 bucks and it is light, folds up and has 4 legs hold me fine and I am very big guy

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have been using a folding bar stool from Walmart for about 5 years. It is light weight, just the right height and stores easily. They cost about $14.
    About 12 guys at our club are now using one.

The URL shows the price at $24 but it was $14 in the store a few months ago.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Global-24-Cushioned-Folding-Stool-with-Safety-Lock-in-Black/14701377

8. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

That's the one I was talking about

9. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I have been using a stool over two years and after some experiments I ended up using one that is 24" high with a swivel seat. Could not swing on the angle targets with a non-swiveling stool. Made a big difference for me when I started using a swivel stool. Also found out that I have to make an effort to lean forward otherwise I was sitting up to straight and was shooting over the hard angles. Still have not been able to shoot good doubles scores and just can not seem to figure out why. But, still trying. Good luck and continue to enjoy shooting.

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Get a cheap wooden stool. Try it out, if its too tall you can cut some of the legs off. You may need to trim the legs more than once...Bill

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

On two occassions at one of my local clubs I had the opportunity at separate times to shoot next to a stool shooter. Mind you both of these fellows had severe health problems. On one occassion One shooter had a stool with a oxygen bottle attached. On one station he went to sit down and missed the stool completely. He wasn't hurt and his semi auto wasn't loaded. On another occassion I shot next to a stool shooter using an un-single. We had trap problems and a member went down to fix the problem. I thought we had all unloaded and had our guns at rest. The shooter next to me (elderly?) had a release trigger and never opened his gun-I just didn't notice this and it was winter and I had ear muffs on. Anyway his gun went off in front of me and I thought I got hit in the face by shot. I hadn't, it was frozen dirt that flew up and stung me in the face. It's no longer an issue as both have passed on but I wonder what I'd do in the future?

12. William681

William681 Member

Six years ago I shattered and dislocated my right ankle. Two surgeries, five screws, and twelve weeks in a cast. My twin brother, (bless his heart), took me to the gun club, (Bucks County), to kabitz with the shooters, I had been home bound for far too long. I was still on crutches, but they rolled the swivelling (?) office chair out, put it at sta.1, I hobbled over to it and with a borrowed gun shot a round of practice. When I finished a station, bro would take the gun and chair to the next sta. and I would hobble over to it.
    I broke 25/25. I should do so well when standing on my own two feet. Don't be too hard on the "sitters", it was the best day of my recovery, except for when I threw that damned cast away.

Bill Boston, Southport NC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.