1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stolen Gun Register, anyone know of one?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that this posting would have to be done by law enforcement officials based on official reports of stolen guns. I don't think it would be a good idea to have a stolen gun list where just anyone could go there and post information about a gun being stolen.

If you've had a gun stolen, you could post the info here. It might help, particularly if it's a trap gun.

2. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I had 16 of them stolen 4 years ago, I gave descriptions and serial #s for everyone of them. Supposedly they get registered at ncic by the cops. I haven't heard a word about any of mine, we even told them who stole them and they didnt do a thing or even seem interested. It makes you wonder how many recoveries they do and never tell people, or how many get lost in the wash due to them just being to busy and blowing it off.

3. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

jim reichmann in missouri had several guns stolen 20 years ago or so. a few months ago one of them showed up in sacramento in a drug bust.. the detective called jim about the gun.they were supposed to send the gun to jim but i haven,t talked to him in a few months so i don,t know if he got the gun back or not.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Stolen guns do show up sooner or later.

Years ago a customer had a very fine collection of Kentucky rifles stolen.

Almost no help from law enforcement. About five years later his best rifle showed up at a large gun show.

Every once in a while the local news media will show a load of confiscated guns going to the smelter. I have never seen anything but junk. Makes you wonder.

Regards Gerald

5. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have been an advocate of a record of stolen trap/target guns for years on this fourm that we can download from an up-dated list. When I am at a shoot, and a fellow wants to sell a gun outright, the list would be great to have for EVERYONES protection..........merlyn......

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

There is no private storage facility for stolen gun data. They are entered into NCIC by the agency taking the theft report. There are no purge dates on guns in NCIC. Vehicles and other items are purged, sort of, after four years plus the remainder of the year of entry. They then go into a purge file and can still be checked in an off-line search. When a gun is recovered, the recovering agency notifies the agency that made the entry and it's up to them to notify the victim. There are holes in this system as time marches on. People move, can't be found, die, etc. Biggest problem is that most guys don't maintain records of serial numbers. I would urge everyone to do this, along with digitally stored photos. Also makes it easier when dealing with your insurance companies.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As the person who recovered Nora Martin's stolen K-80 a number of years ago I can assure everyone that it can get interesting. Seems that her gun was stolen at the Houston airport by baggage handlers. By the time I purchased it in Gun List a few months later it traveled through around 15 different owners-one of whom was a prominent Professional golfer on the Seniors tour. I was lucky enough to recognize the Serial # in the stolen guns section of Trap&Field. My lawyer at the time advised me that I was "purchaser for value" and assumed no real liability.

I returned it to the individual from which I made the purchase for a full refund. Of course, the ATF was banging on my door shortly after for a complete audit. At least they tried to do something!!

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

merlyn, I too would love to see such a data bank for stolen trap guns with descriptions and serial numbers!

I once checked with another shooting site owner about the possibility of setting up such a data bank. He mentioned a figure I couldn't afford so I dropped that idea pretty quick.

Possibly David could advise and or sell the idea to private investors here who would maintain such a site? List your stolen guns for a fee? I would pay for such a service! Just thinking out loud here. Hap

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Many local or state law enforcement agency's will run a NCIC check on serial numbers if you ask. That will not guarantee it's not stolen only that it's not in the system. One problem is that you can get false hits on NCIC checks because believe it or not many guns have the same serial number!

If someone put up a stolen gun registery what system would make sure the firearm reported was really stolen? This is one reason many people conceal the serial numbers on pictures of firearms they put up on the internet.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ccw1911, to prevent such things, a case number from the police department would do it. Hap

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Dawg,
    So, I take it that Nora didn't get her K-80 back after all?

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Trap & Field used to have a space for stolen guns with M# and S# have not seen it lately.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

My son had his trap gun stolen on an airline. Followed all the requirements for reporting, fought with the airline over insurance payment and finally received $750 from the airline insurance. (All they were required to pay at the time) Claimed it on home owners and collected balance minus the deductable and the airline payment. To my surprise,NRA Insurance actually matched the deductable at that time. He broke out even but minus his gun. Has never shown up, it's got to be about 25yrs, now. I was told way back then, "chances of recovery,zilch!"

Big Jack

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Code5coupe, my guess is Nora was paid by her insurance company and that company became the new owner. It's the Fed's job to resolve the issue after I returned it to the previous owner and got a refund. When I saw Nora at the Southern Grand I mentioned I was the recoverer of her missing gun. She didn't seem real interested!!

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

one reason they didnt do it in past was the amout of time to enter and then look up guns with the computer age it would be easier but as above- most people do not keep the serial nos i had a rifle recovered from a raid on a pawn shop had to pay the insurance company back to get rifle here is kicker the cop told me the guy that pawned it it was same guy that i told the cops 3 years earlier that stole it rick

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I can only answer for what I know of the trade in my area.

Any store that deals in second hand items (IE pawn shops, gunshops, jewelry, appliance, resale stores...........) have to fill out a from, that has make model, S#, and a description. they then have less then 3 days to forward the forms to local law enforcement, the orginal to the Sherif, the second copy to the city police, then they have to hold the merchendise for two weeks before it can be sold.

There are some kinks to the system.

If the person that reported the theft did not wish to prosecute, they will get a chnace to buy their things back. Part of this is because a family member, that had reasonable access to the property, sold something, and another family member reports it stolen, but when they find out it is family they refuse to prosecute, the family benifitting and the store owner being out, just can't work. One of the first things a shop owner here asks when the cops come in, IS show me the Court papers! If there are none to go with the police report, then the item gets a hold order put on it. that is the shop does not loose the item, but it cannot be sold until there is some resulotion to the case. that is because the family angle is a lot more previllent then can be believed!

Another is how many countries made service arms in the millions but the arms thenselfs only had a 4 number marking? So just because those four numbers matched doas not make it the item stolen.

Another thing is that a shop owner, by relying on the reporting system we have here, has the protection of this law in their transactions! If they took the time to study stolen items lists, and had something from a list come in they no longer can buy it, because at that time they are KNOWINGLY buying stolen goods!

I don't know if Tucson/Pima county or even AZ are odd ducks out there in having the second hand sales law and the system it creates, but I would be surpried if we are!

Because of all the person to person sales around I do think that having somethng in place to be able to see if that gun I might want to buy is stolen might be a good Idea, but what happens when a stolen item was recovered(or otherwise cleared), and never taken off a list?

Al

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In many cases, possibly more than half, the insurance has paid off and the individual does not want the gun back.

I know of people who have collected and later recovered their trap gun, and now they had 2.

Go figure.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.