1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stolen Gun Hot Sheet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Alex Ragulsky, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

From time to time I see post relating to stolen firearms. After a few days or maybe even a couple weeks the threads are replaced by more current topics.

I would like to propose that the web sight consider adding a continious topic section titled "Stolen Guns" like the topics at the top of the thread list. That way we will have access to the "hot sheet" to refer back to if we see something suspicious.

General conversation would be discouraged as only actual stolen guns, with serial numbers if available, and descriptions would be posted along with the originating law enforcement organization and the owners contact information.

Just a suggestion.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Excellent idea

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Do you mean something like this??

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I agree it would be nice to have it as a frozen thread(i think they call them a "sticky" on forums) at the top of the page like some of the other important TS.COM threads.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Excellent idea Alex!

A stickie at the top with just the facts as you outlined may help someone recover their guns at some point! With our "guns for sale" section this could be a first for an instant comparison! Pawn shops, gunsmiths and factories log serial numbers but it's tough to know which is possibly stolen with no instant check system in place!

A thief just about put me out of shooting for quite some time after stealing 6 of mine! Luck was on my side by getting two model 12s back through the serial numbers. As HLDS posted above, there are a few lists but no one pays any attention having to go search through a series of numbers, mostly a serial number only. Such a list could be set up to recognise stolen serial numbers also!

Once word got out that TS has an instant check system in place, look at all the possibilities of that? Ins. companies, gunsmiths, individuals, firearm collectors and even pawn shops running numbers against that data bank? (Advertising banners too?) Unless a firearm serial number is looked for by a police dept, sites are limited that works for just anyone looking for his stolen gun or verifying a serial number?

Hap

6. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Alex,

I think you have an excellent idea here. I would like to see something like this on here. I think that some of us would check to see what guns have been stolen in our area from time to time.
    Jim Bradbury

7. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Luckily, I have not had a gun stolen. From what I've seen, my preference is for FirearmsFax instead of a thread here. Two reasons:

1. FirearmsFax is a lot more than a simple list. It is a notification system that notifies FFLs within a 50 mile radius of your zipcode of a stolen gun. It also notifies you of any hits when someone searches your gun's serial.

2. Personal information privacy. Advertising on a thread here makes it too easy for people to gain personal information about you, and maybe come for the rest of your property.

Yes, FirearmsFax costs money. Most good services do.
    No, I have no business allegiance to FirearmsFax.
    --
    Bob

8. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

Bob:

My suggestion for here is that it doesn't cost anything. Plus, when someone offers us a gun for sale, or we are at a shoot and see a gun that is interesting we can check quickly and easily.

As far as personal information and the bandits following it up and coming to your home to steal the rest of your stuff, I don't see that as something that would happen all that often. Contact info posted could be left up to the person posting about the lost gun and no one would be forcing you or anyone else to post. I guess I could say that just by posting here a burglar could trace our screen name back to us (and it is pretty easy really) and then come to our home and steal our stuff when we go to work.

And of course no one would be forced to participate so if you feel like it would open you up for further victimization that you probably shouldn't participate.

I was just thinking that this might A) allow someone to recover their stolen gun quicker and B) prevent one of us from buying a stolen gun.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Alex: How's the Starks family weathering the holidays?

I got a thnak you from the son and his last sentence said "See you in two weeks." Not sure what that means. He sure doesn't need to drive up to Rapid City from Littleton so see me, but I sure would like the opportunity to talk about Ikey.

Whiz

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also think it would be a great idea...and yup,..I sure miss Ikey too : (...we lost a lot of good guys n gals this year

11. Hap MecTweaks

12. Hap MecTweaks

Great news David!!! Thank you so much for your dedication to our shooting sports!!

Gene Hapney (HAPpy)

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks David. That sounds like a great addition.

14. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

David:

Thanks Sir! I don't know much about computers (or anything else for that matter) but if there is any way that i can help please don't hesitate to let me know.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

15. Hap MecTweaks

^ Yes, what Alex said above goes for me also!!

Hap

16. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

If anyone ever runs across a Remington 3200 Special Trap and Underside of the Action is engraved to Bob Roberts by McAllen Gun Club call me or the Police it was stolen back in 1992. Bob Roberts 210-827-8553 Thanks Bob

17. Hap MecTweaks

Bob, if there's any chance your gun made it into Mexico, it's history. I almost know I have a couple floating around the dove patches down there too. One of the model 12s I got back was headed for the border when a CHP officer stopped the stolen car. My gun was hidden in the trunk, good luck with your's.

Hap